bulb socket schmooo

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by phat80, Feb 14, 2018.

1. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    I'm at the point where I'm cleaning up my original (1980) rear wire harness. As I was cleaning the bulb holder sockets I found them to be caked with a beige, thick mastic type of material which I scraped out.

My guess is the schmoo was packed in there at the factory to act a water seal/ vapor barrier. Do any of you kids have a suggestion for a workable replacement?

I thought of smearing some dielectric grease in there but I don't think that's really the best product for the job.

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I'm not sure what that stuff is. I noticed it when I was at that point with my harness too. I just left it alone in mine, but I did notice that it seemed to make the bulbs a little more difficult to get in and out.

I'd be curious if new sockets would use that stuff too?

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    That's factory stuff.
    I believe it was intended to be a moisture seal but it does eventually shrink a bit and may not work well if your car is exposed to natural elements.

Clean it all out, clean the electrical contacts within the bulb holder and use a little di-electric grease to aid as a corrosion preventative measure when you reassemble.

Cardinal likes this.
  4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Dielectric grease is what I use. I've done it for decades and it works just fine. It isn't a conductor by itself but promotes it between contacts as well as weather proofing the connection and making putting it together and taking it apart easier.

Cardinal likes this.
  5. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC