Building my free 32 x 50 garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by OsborneConst, Apr 2, 2013.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Minimal waste with the singles...man that was cutting it close...I usually buy way too much for fear of running out...LOL

When I poured the floor for my garage, I got plenty nervous when I heard the last of the three trucks start rattling gravel as the drum turned and we still had a large corner to fill...but as we scraped the cement chute down to get the last little bit off the truck, we had just enough, and then ended up taking one shovel full out....man...that was a close estimate also.

2. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Well I didn't get anything done on the barn today with the rain, but my buddy is coming over tomorrow morning with the bobcat to start on the excavation. I did however get the doors on the entertainment center I built last winter. (finally)

[​IMG]

3. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI

I didn't plan it that close! A couple of years ago I had an old dutch guy from our church come over and help me pour a concrete slab in front of my attached garage. I had helped him pour several areas of concrete, and he always had it figured perfect, where he had planned on scraping the chute to get the right amount, and in the few years I helped him, he was never short, and never had to much. Anyway, when he came to help me, I was like I will show him I can figure it close too. WRONG! my 24x24 slab is actually 12x24 on one half, and 12x22 on the other half. Since then I always add at least half a yard extra.

4. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Today we got all of the top dirt removed from inside the barn, and started to do a rough grade on the outside of the barn. We also moved the shed to the other side of my property, and I got the bottom grade board installed tonight. It looks like I need about 40 yards of sand to bring grade up on the inside of the barn. My metal is scheduled for delivery on Friday afternoon. I don't know how much I'll get done over the next week, as we have an insane amount of things to do almost every night, and my wife has to go to DC for work Tuesday-Thursday, so I won't be able to work on it in the evenings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's hard to believe that all of this stuff was cramed in the that little shed! I also had a washing machine, treadmill, and a skid of salt in there also! I stuck it all in my attached garage for now. It was clean, and we were parking two vehicles in there yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    I built my shop back in '05, but didn't have the funds to insulate and sheetrock back then. When I did later on, I was able to move the GTO and the Camaro into my 26 x 26 attached garage (daily drivers parked outside), plus everything but my air compressor, tool box, the lawn tractor, snow blower and 1 workbench into my attached garage.

Considering I had a pair of 2' deep x 8' wide x 6' high shelving units, 4 typical smaller shelving units that were completely full of "stuff", boxes and boxes of car parts, old 50's vintage gas pump, etc, etc - that was a major project just getting it all moved over.

One good thing is, it forced me to sort through all that "stuff" and get rid of a fair amount of it. Many trips to the dump and even made some money on the metal I recycled. Made it much easier to reorganize my shop - especially since I sold all my shelving units that took up so much floor space before. Replaced all that floor standing shelf space with wall mounted shelves - made my shop feel much largers with the gain in floor space.

6. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Had a pretty productive day today. We got al of the soffit and facia on, the windows and service doors framed and installed, and the overhead doors framed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Coming right along...

8. 74Z28GC3

74Z28GC3 Veteran Member

Sep 1, 2000
    North Pole, Alaska
    Looks very nice so far.

George

9. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks guys! I didn't get as much done this weekend as I had hoped, with so another things going on, but I did manage to get some time in. I got the rodent guard installed, all of the wainscot panels, and most of the "z" trim between the wainscot and the upper siding. I think I am going to have one of my guys come over tomorrow and see how much we can get done. I need to install the door jamb trim for the three overhead doors, and then the upper metal can be installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Did pretty good today. We got the overhead doors all trimmed out, the J channel put on the windows, the back side is completely done, and started working on the front. With any luck, we can have all of the siding done tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]