Building my free 32 x 50 garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by OsborneConst, Apr 2, 2013.

1. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI

When my buddy comes over with his bobcat to dig out the top dirt, and grade things off, we will pick it up and move it over by the kids play area so they can have all of their toys in it. With their stuff in the shed, and my stuff in the barn, our attached garage should be clean, and just have two vehicles in it. We park two cars in it right now, but the kids toys are are all lined up on the walls.

2. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I've got about three and a half hours this afternoon, so I guess I am going to see how many shingles I can get down.

3. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I got about half of the front side done.

[​IMG]

4. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Not even done with the garage yet, and already using it to spray poly on doors.

[​IMG]

5. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Why is the lowest girt in the pic a 2x4? Is there a pressure treated girt yet to be installed down by the ground?

6. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Yes, there is a CCA treated 2x8 to go on the bottom for a grade board. I just haven't put it on yet to make it easier for scooping out top dirt with the bobcat.
    We were supposed to do the excavating tomorrow, but it is supposed to rain all day, so we are planning on Wednesday. The 2x4 girt is just a center nailer (screwer? Lol) for the wainscot.

7. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I did get the roof finished, and the ridge vent and cap installed. I knew I figured the roof close, but a little to close for comfort. I only had a 8" piece of shingle left, and that was with minimal waste on the ends!

[​IMG]

8. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    The roof looks great!

9. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks! I'm not a huge fan of roofing, but I can't see paying someone else to to do it on my place. If we're busy, I usually have a roofer do my roofs on larger projects.

10. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Looking at it from that angle, I'm not a huge fan of the dark shadow lines, as they seem to uniform, but it looks good from the ground.