Building my free 32 x 50 garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by OsborneConst, Apr 2, 2013.

1. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Yeah, it was nice to park one of my extra trucks under the roof while it hailed last night!

2. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Just curious.....how are you fastening the headers to the posts that support the roof trusses? It's hard to tell in the photos.

Looks good so far. :D

3. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks!

These are the fasteners I am using. WAY better and faster than pole barn spikes, although not cheap. And they are code compliant.

[​IMG]

4. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Not a whole lot to update today. I got the shingles delivered, so they are on the roof, and I got the trim box delivered, which has my drip edge, screws, corners, facia, and other misc. trim in it. Maybe tomorrow night I can get started on roofing.

5. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    It's always interesting to see the different codes in the different areas. Is the post spacing 8' plus? How many of those screws go in each header to post connection? What size is that header.

In my county, I would have had to install a 3/4 bolt through the header and post. Then a cleat below the header fastened two more times with a 3/4" diameter bolt through the post.

6. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    All of the spacing is 8' or under, except where the 10' overhead door openings are. The header is 2x12. I believe the code says 4 fasteners per connection, but I am using 5. Yeah, codes always amaze me how different they are all over the country. In Michigan now, bolts are against code for headers, and even for decks. One of my local inspectors told me these are now IBC certified for header connections. Here is the sheer rating on them. They also have different designs.

[​IMG]

I built around 20 three story decks last year for an apartment complex, and the inspector is the one that recommended them for the header to post connections. For those I used the trusslok version, which has a bolt head on it, instead of a flush head.

7. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
  8. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    After the snow and ice melted off the roof, I got the drip edge piton the whole roof, and the backside completely shingled. Did pretty good for getting nine square down in six hours by myself.

[​IMG]

9. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave
    Awesome thread.

How you going to get stuff in and out the shed now?

10. moms1978

moms1978 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Man Cave
    lol :bowtie: