Building my free 32 x 50 garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by OsborneConst, Apr 2, 2013.

1. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Didn't get quite as far as I hoped, but had two people back out on me. We still got all the posts set, and grade set. Tomorrow I will start installing the purlins.

[​IMG]

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    I've always found it interesting how at this stage the buildings always look small.

Once you get the steel on, it's going to somehow grow bigger...;)

3. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I'm not having very good luck with help showing up. The only one that came today was my nanny's 13year old son. Still managed to get most of the girts on.

[​IMG]

4. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Yesterday we were able to get the headers on, and the trusses set. It looks like the rain is going to hold off again for a while this morning, so we are going to try and cut the posts off, and get the roof sheeted.

[​IMG]

5. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Didn't get quite as much done today as I hoped, but we got all the posts cut, the truss tails cut, the sub facia on, and one side of the rood sheeted. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, we can get the other side sheeted, and the ice and water, and the felt down, then the excavator can come in and strip all the top dirt, and haul in some sand before we start putting the metal up.

[​IMG]

6. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Today we got the other half of the roof sheeted, all of the sub facia on, and all the ice and water shield, and roofing felt on.

[​IMG]

7. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Central Illinois
    Lol, sounds like nobody you know is as exited about your new building as you are. Maybe every one is jeleous because you got it for free with the company kickback money.:D

8. Philly

Philly Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I'm going to buy a 24x24 from menards next year for the cottage. Its like 3-4 g's..wicked cheap! Same garage here is 13-14g's!

I love menards

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Looks like you are still moving along....it's nice to get it all under roof.

10. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Actually, most of them are excited, as they know they will be able to use it, it's just hard to find good help during the day, when most people are at work, lol. I did end up having one of my good friends that had last week and this week off from work, because the job they were supposed to be at got postponed for two weeks, and another buddy is a union bridge builder, and they haven't gone back to work yet this spring. However, they have had other things they need to take care of during the week, but they have been a huge help. My best friend hasn't been able to come and help with the framing, but he is going to come over with his bobcat and dig all the top dirt out and spread it, and then haul in sand and compact it, and get ready for concrete.

If it isn't raining this afternoon, I have the rooftop delivery of the shingles scheduled. I'll probably just be working on it during the evenings now, as I should probably get back to work and make some money! And maybe see if I can get the engine fired for the first time in the Camaro!