Building my free 32 x 50 garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by OsborneConst, Apr 2, 2013.

1. redone000

redone000 Member

Jun 21, 2013
    seattle,wa
    Wow, that's a real garage. Its so nice, love it.

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I'll bet they changed the price on the other one as soon as you were out the door!

3. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    They changed it before They even wrote up my price adjustment!

4. tskills10

tskills10 Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2007
    painesville, OH
    I think that score deserves a " YOU SUCK"!! Place looks great. I found a similar compressor 2 years ago on CL. The girl had it one month for her boyfriend and they had just broken up. I gave her $325 for it. And sold my 30 gal craftsman compressor for $100.

5. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    My little 20 gallon 3HP compressor is a Sandborn. I've been having it for over 20 years and the little booger has been problem free. When I complete my shop I will be in the market for a bigger compressor, but will keep this little guy for its portability.

BTW...good find!!!

6. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    It's hard to believe that it has been 10 months since I have posted in here. I really like my shop, but it isn't near big enough (are they ever). The funny thing is when I built it my wife said that it was way to big, and unnecessary. Now two years later she agrees I need a much larger shop. So I am starting to design my next one, and with any luck, I'll be able to start in the spring on it. Here is where I need help with the layout. I am thinking it will be 40x100, but I need to input on how to divide it up. Here is what I have so far, but far from ready.

[​IMG]

I am not planning on heating all of it. It will have 16' ceilings, so I can do multi level storage. I will need to install a lift somewhere. The room in the middle so far will be for mechanical and bathroom, but could get moved anywhere. The right side is the area I am planning on having be the finished side with heat, and the left side will be storage. I kind of like having the main area open, but then it would be nice to have a few area's separated, for doing dirty work (like woodworking, or sanding a car down)

This will probably be my last shop i will ever do, so I want to do it right! I appreciate all input/suggestions! Thanks!

7. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Ma.
    Crap that's almost the size of my whole yard! Make a mechanical room for the compressor and anything noisy.

8. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That looks amazing! I wish I had the land to build a workshop/garage/man cave like that!

9. Carinsulation.com

Carinsulation.com Veteran Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Coplay PA
    This was an awesome build! I can't wait to see it after you add on lol.

10. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI

So this post was from almost two years ago! I finally got gloves and finished putting it together today. It is actually one of the nicer setups I have used. The fluorescent lights work amazing. I also built a wet "filter" for it to go through, before it goes to a regular shop vac (which is mounted on the other side of an insulated wall, so you can barely hear the vac or the compressor running).

This picture was taken after 20 minutes of blasting:

[​IMG]

This is the very easy wet filter that works amazing!

The green bucket one is mine, the orange bucket pictures are what I copied mine from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]