Building my free 32 x 50 garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by OsborneConst, Apr 2, 2013.

1. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    The compressor is in a different insulated room,so I can barely hear it, but I didn't think about putting the vac in there. Hmm... That might make my determination of where I put the blaster. Thanks for the idea!

2. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you set up the vac in the other room and hook it up to PVC and run the PVC around the Garage with hook up points for the hose you can leverage that for an all shop solution.......Not sure what size vac you have.

3. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Ma.
    Curves, 8pack, Those are great Ideas.

4. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    That is great idea as well. However for blaster, I am going to use the special vac specifically for sand blasters. I was going to order one tonight, but it is around $450 with shipping. HF has one for $169. For the little bit I will actually use it, I might take the gamble with that one. Especially if my local store has one when I go in the morning to pick up a cherry picker. I am tired of borrowing one when I need it, and I guess now I have the space!

I've been procrastinating (actually to busy getting the Camaro ready for paint) for the last month, but I am going to pull the engine on one of my trucks tomorrow that spun a bearing (I think)

5. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    They didn't have a vac in stock, so I guess i will have to order one either way. I did manage to get the engine out. Now I need to get it on the stand, and pull it apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I found the problem with the engine:

[​IMG]

Bent rod on #6 cylinder and the skirt was hitting the counter weight on the crank.

I was going to rebuild this one,but I found a complete pullout from an 04 chevy express with 111,000 miles on it. After a lot of small issues, I should have it running tomorrow.

7. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I also got the workbench completely put together, and finally painted:

[​IMG]

Next step is getting the bathroom framed and roughed in, and trying to get some sort of heat hooked up for this year.

8. Carinsulation.com

Carinsulation.com Veteran Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor Gold Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Coplay PA
    Did you use pressure treated wood for your walls on the bottom?

9. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI

Yes, pressure treated 2x4 on the bottom, and then I kept the OSB an inch off the floor so it wouldn't wick water.

10. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    It's been a while since I posted in here, but making progress on the shop again. Built three more rooms- mechanical room, bathroom, and another storage room. The storage room is going to be for all of the big roll around stuff- cherry picker, engine stands, trans jacks, etc. Since I didn't think I'd ever be able to have a bathroom, I didn't put any plumbing in before the concrete. So I had to cut concrete to get the plumbing in. Hopefully the septic will go in next week!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014