Building my free 32 x 50 garage

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by OsborneConst, Apr 2, 2013.

1. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Specs:

32x50 post frame with 12' ceilings
    2-10 x 10 insulated overhead doors
    Architectural shingles
    Light grey metal siding with a dark grey wainscot on the bottom

I am planning on starting next week. The blueprints showed up today, and I got the building permit yesterday. Everything has come in except the trusses and the posts, which are supposed to be in by this weekend. I was planning on doing it slowly over the summer, but I think I am going to take the week off work and try to get most of it done. Lots of pics to follow.

2. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Valdosta,Ga.
    How is the building free ?

3. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI

I'm not sure if you are familiar with Menards, as it is primarily a Midwest company, but similar to lowes or Home Depot. I get a percentage back at the end of the year for everything I purchase there. Every item is different, as some manufactures have an extra percentage on top of the base percentage and that varies from 2% to 12%. They also run sales ( like they are this week) where you get an 11% rebate on everything in the store. After saving all of the rebates ( in-store credit good only at Menards) for a little over a year, I had enough to get all of the materials for free.

4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    John Menard used to be a customer of mine when I lived 20 minutes from Menard's headquarters in Eau Claire, WI. Knowing what I know - I won't buy anything from Menard's.

PM me if you want more info.

5. CB-Man

CB-Man Veteran Member

May 25, 2011
    Newport, MI
    Dang I wish could get all my materials for free!

6. fbody_mike

fbody_mike Veteran Member

Wow, you must buy from Menards like I buy from Autozone, but on a bigger scale.

Is the foundation already done?

7. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Since it is post frame construction, there is no foundation. I am hoping to start this weekend or this upcoming week, but it looks like it is supposed to start raining this weekend, so I guess I'll wait and see.

8. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Not exactly true. The posts sitting on concrete footings is the foundation. Each post takes a % of the weight of the structure. The weight is generated down each post and is supported by the post/concrete footing. No foundation would cause each post to sink, and your building to look like total dog dung.

9. OsborneConst

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Your theory is correct, but what I said is correct. The post sits on a footing, not a foundation. They are separate componets of a structure. Evan a poured wall/ brick wall needs to sit on a footing. But either way, other than locating the corner posts no work has begun as I don't like to leave the footings exposed and the holes open without setting the posts especially in sand, because its no fun to re-dig the holes by hand after the sides cave in. The posts are supposed to be in on Saturday.

10. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Correct, but a post frame building still has a foundation of sorts. There's the footing, and then the post which I consider part of the foundation. A stem wall of sorts. When I have the posts all set on their footings, and the post holes back filled, I call that the foundation. Everything on the building is supported by this system. The very definition of a foundation is a structure that transfers loads to the earth. That's exactly what the posts and footing do. A foundation is not specific to what you find on a stick built garage or house. There are many different types of foundations.