building a garage... open to ideas

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Due North, Jan 30, 2015.

1. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2012
    E'ville, IL
    Always overbuild, you won't ever regret it! Watch the width, trusses can only span a certain distance without using a support in the middle, I think 26 feet was the max. Pour a 3-4 foot deep frost wall to prevent the cold from penetrating into the floor. You can even put styrofoam insulation under the floor. Lots of rebar, or kittiy-hair, in the poured floor, pinned and tied to the walls. Saw cut the floor or use zip-strips to help control floor cracking as it cures. Ideally, you want to pour the concrete on a cool (60 degrees), damp, cloudy day. This will slow the initial cure and make it easier to finish it. Don't try to do the concrete work yourself, contract that out to a professional. Keep the footings a square as possible, mine was off by 1/4 inch out of square, and it followed all the way to the roof sheeting, everything was out by 1/4 inch! Not much you think, but wait 'till you put the drywall ceiling up. That little 1/4 inch adds up.
    Outlets, outlets, outlets. You can never have to many. The same goes for lighting. 220 service is a plus also.

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I think that is bigger than my house!!! I would love a garage like that.

3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Think about your heat source too. How big of an area do you want to heat? Also think about how much room your work bench and cabinates will take up on at least two walls

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    F, can I move in?

5. nova66mussl

nova66mussl Member

Jul 19, 2009
    East Wenatchee, WA
    I would recommend 12' to 14' walls in case you want a lift some day. The two things I appreciate the most in my 66' x 48' shop is a rest room and an inside wash bay. As you get older these things are a blessing!

6. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2012
    E'ville, IL
    66'x28'!!! That IS bigger than my house!

I agree that drawing it all out to scale first is the way to go. I did the same thing when I built mine. I even drew the house, the street, the yard and boundries, septic system and lines, gas, and water. All to scale. I got a little anal with it. After that I double checked the garage by painting it in the yard with utility marking paint. I drew the work bench, doors and windows and driveway, then parked 2 cars and lawn mowers on it, lol.

And get yourself a Paslode cordless framing gun, a new Milwaukee circular saw and 18V (or better) cordless drill. You can probably beg, borrow or steal everything else. But those 3 things will make your entire project easier. Its money well spent.

7. Due North

Due North Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Thanks for the input so far. A lot of good ideas.

8. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    50x70x16. 3500 sq ft of floor space! Lol

9. blades67

blades67 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Chandler, Arizona, USA
    Get a Clean Burn waste oil heater and solve two problems at the same time. You no longer have to transport your used oils and your heat is free.

10. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    The building I used to have my shop in was 50 x100 and we had plenty of room though it wasn't set up perfectly.
    After we had to move, the owner sold the building, i bought a 36x 60 building a few blocks away. it was tight getting everything to fit.
    Sure couldn't store as many cars overnight, though I did get 5 in there once.