building a garage... open to ideas

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Due North, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Due North

Due North Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Thunder Bay, ON
    I am in the initial planning stages of a garage build this spring. It will be primarily for my truck, crew cab Nissan Titan, my camaro which is undergoing a major rebuild, and likely move my Yamaha Rhino (side-by-side ATV) in at times in the winter if need be.

I have a lot that is substantial in size, so it really is more about the most efficient size for my needs, than having to fit a set lot size, or going too big for that matter.

I have been leaning towards a 32'x'32 with a 16' and 9' foot doors. Likely 10' walls.

I haven't built anything beyond a shed so open to things I should be considering or including from the guys who've been there and said, 'Shit, I should've....'

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    32'x32' is a good size. Any size divisible by 4 is a good size as you waste a lot less lumber and get the most size for your money.

I built my own garage, and the only recommendation I will give you is that you don't cut corners on electrical. I put a dedicated 100amp box in my garage that has 20 circuits. I have about 30 120v receptacles and 14 overhead lights. That is the way to do it. I can run all my electrical equipment simultaneously and never overload the circuits. Don't settle for less with electrical. Cut corners on the appearance fluff if you need to cut somewhere, but never cut corners on the electrical.

3. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Ime, wider is better than deeper and taller is better if you plan to install a lift.

4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    I had the Amish build my garage. Due to zoning, I built one that was 24 deep by 34 long. If you have the piping accessable, build a small sleeping room and both room into it that is well insulated. That way is a pretty bad storm rolls in while you're out there, you can still use the bathroom and maybe take a nap. You can also work on things like carburetors and alternators in there and stay toasty warm. One thing I wish I had done was put in a taller door. My pickup won't clear by about 3 inches. I did have the vapor barrier installed while they were building it but I insulated the rest of the building myself with 2 inch thick styrofoam panels with wood panelling over that for appearance. Put a ceiling fan in the rafters to move heated air down while you're out there. Heat rises. If I don't use one, it can be 70-80 degrees by the roof but 35 on the floor where I'm at.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    This may sound nuts, but I'm so glad I did it. Draw everything to scale. The building, tool and mechanical rooms and yes, even cars. Everything that will take floor space. You may find your garage is too small before it's done. I started out with a 30x40 and ended up with a 50x80. Also if you're going to be spending a lot of time there, heat the floor. You won't regret it. It's pricey initially, but very efficient. Also, sooner or later, you are going to want a lift or two, even a "backyard buddy" to stack things. Maybe find out ceiling height to accommodate those.

6. 1970 gold

1970 gold Veteran Member

You might want to have it stubbed for a bathroom. Having a sink with running water is a plus. Even if you don't finish it, it gives you the option.

7. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    I have a 30x50. 1/2 has our two drivers while the other half has my 79, tools, compressor, and a riding mower. I have plenty of room.

Two things I regret is not having are skylights and a floor drain. It would be nice to wash cars inside.

Good luck.

8. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    coffee can, funnel, and 8' of hose in the back corner. the hose will run into limestone under the garage.

9. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    Is this going to be stick built or pole barn style? If stick built, try and go with 2x6 stud walls and get as much insulation that you can into the walls and ceiling.

10. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Over build!!!! Even if you think "ah, it will be big enough". Go bigger.. I would change a few things now, but here is our end result.

[​IMG]