Budget Build Twin Turbo LT1

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hoppin5478, Aug 5, 2015.

1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Here is the gauge cluster insert covered and ready to be installed in the dash.

camaro build 484.jpg

A better shot of the 3m carbon fiber wrap I used.
    camaro build 485.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Thunderkyss likes this.
  2. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you! I'm really happy with it and I think it adds some more character to the build.

3. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    One last piece of progress over the last couple of weeks was getting the wheel wells cut to fit and adding some metal for engine bay/turbo protection. It's still a work in progress but I'm getting ready to pull it apart and clean it up. It's nice that everything under the hood is done and fitted. Now I can pull a bunch of it apart and clean/paint/polish it so it will look a lot cleaner. I'm not going for trailer queen just nice street car.

The fender wells.

camaro build 464.jpg camaro build 465.jpg

4. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    Damn that dash is badass.

5. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Got the dash installed today and the gauge cluster up and running. I'm still playing with the layout of the main display but overall I'm very happy with it. The dash pad still needs some tweaking as the alignment is poor in a couple places.

camaro build 493.jpg

6. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That is looking pretty cool! Can't wait to see the finished dash!

7. rockoosi1

rockoosi1 Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Clinton Md
    What rear is that? Did the Z28s come with rear disc?

8. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

The only 2nd gens to come from the factory were the later t/a's with the WS6 package and not all of them got rear disk.

9. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    It is my stock 78 rear end. I completed a S10 brake swap which is very well documented by others on this site and I'm very grateful for the info/help. It was a fairly easy conversion and pretty straight forward other than the e-brake needing a little attention. After initially completing it the proportioning was still incorrect despite a couple mods I did on the prop valve and having the disc/disc vette master cylinder. I have driven the car a little bit now and I am very happy with the 1LE discs up front and s-10 rears. Can't beat it for the price.

Thunderkyss likes this.
  10. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I made a little more progress this week mostly cleaning up some odds and ends that I skipped. I had a hard time finding the right front sway bar bushings and finally went with the poly energy suspension ones with there frame mounts. I also installed the poly body mounts and thanks to everyone on this site with great write ups, it was a breeze. Fortunately being a pretty rust free west coast car the bolts broke loose with no issues and I had them installed in about an hour. It was one of the few times I didn't run into a gremlins and it went as planned. Hopefully I'll get more done on the interior soon but I haven't found an upholsterer in my area that doesn't want a fortune to do a basic recover. I guess I've been out of the game for a while but a job like this used to run me under $400 and now it's double that or more. I may not use my newer Z28 seats with the bolsters and just order the kit for $400. I found the rare 2nd gen at a pull a part yesterday and pulled the tilt column and wiper motor since my wiper motor was junk and the tilt columns seem pretty pricey. Unfortunately there wasn't much that was useful left on it. I have driven it a couple more times and it is a blast to drive despite the 3.73 gears and 4 speed. Gonna have to do something with the gearing until I can save up for that TKO600.