Budget Build Twin Turbo LT1

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hoppin5478, Aug 5, 2015.

1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Starting to make progress again and hoping it goes quickly. Decided to build a digital dash display using a 7" screen in the middle for tach and speedometer, 2 3.4" lcd's on the side for the rest of the gauges and a small TFT for the odometer and trip. Going to use a 8" windows tablet mounted in the dash, probably near the climate controls to run the 7" screen using Tuner Studio so we can tune in car if need be. Also plan on running the HVAC through the 8" touch screen. The 2 3.4" and odometer are being driven off a pair of Adruino Mega 2560's. My brother has a background in computer programming and wrote all the code for the display. I cut and molded a piece of acrylic to mount the gauge cluster. Here is a pic of the acrylic, the 7" and my oil/speed sensors.
    camaro build 449.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Hopefully I'll have more pics soon of the finished gauge panel and working gauges. I think it will be pretty cool and sticking with the budget build theme I'll have less than $400 in parts invested compared to the aftermarket units that start at about $700 and aren't nearly as versatile. I'll be able to change backgrounds, colors and overall display layouts very easily. We started off with a basic gauge design, similar to most of the aftermarket stuff but may go more elaborate down the road. I'll have Speedo, Tach, Boost, AFR, Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp, Voltage, Fuel Level, Odometer, Trip and Fuel Pressure on display but can pretty much pull up any sensor on the motor. There are cool features he can write in the programming like having the entire LCD with temp flash a warning if the temp gets to hot. I haven't decided what to do with the light switch yet but I'm either going to go with an updated dial type switch or possible use the touch screen on one of the 3.4" LCD's to control them. Either way I'm installing relays for the lights and no longer running the power through the headlight switch. I haven't decided on a color for the acrylic yet but I'm debating covering it in carbon fiber or maybe just painting it a textured black.

3. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That digital dash sounds interesting. I'm looking at doing the same thing, including a carPC. I also want to be able to control my HVAC, door locks, power windows, bluetooth, stereo and instumentation. I will definitely be looking forward to seeing how yours progresses!

4. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks, from what I'm learning the options are limitless if you know how to program and it's crazy how inexpensive the parts are. I would have liked to do the power windows and locks as well but mine is factory manual windows/locks and I think I'm gonna leave those alone for now. We are also experimenting with the RFID technology and may go keyless. The HVAC is gonna take a little re-engineering with some electric vacuum switches and motors but should be relatively straight forward.

5. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I've already got a kit to go keyless and from what I've been hearing, the aftermarket A/C kits like the Classic Auto Air have electronic controls so I'm thinking there must be a way to integrate that into the carPC. I haven't done any coding in years so not sure how that is going to go. Maybe I can contract your brother to do some for me!

6. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I can definitely ask him and see if he is up for it. We've talked about building some gauge clusters if I can clean it up and it comes out pretty nicely. Typically you learn a lot the first time and can do even better 2nd time around. I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I get it all put together and if your interested let me know. He may have some ideas on how to integrate everything on your application. For me the windows tablets have fallen in price so much it was a good option to integrate into the MegaSquirt running all the engine management and use tuner Studio on the center display for Speedo and Tach but I could have just as easily went the Adruino route. We decided to use the Adruino's on the smaller LCD's because the boot up is extremely fast and there was already a lot I wanted to do with the tablet. The Adruino's are nice because they are extremely versatile if you have a programming background and fortunately for me he is really good at mechanical, electrical and programming so he can pretty much tell me what is possible if I have an idea. He ran in to a couple little snags with compatibility but he tested the gauges and they are up and running. I am very happy with how the display looks on the first run. He said since the base programming is done we can change a bunch of the display settings fairly easily. He also tested the touchscreen functionality and said it worked pretty well although I'm not sure if I'm gonna need/use it on the gauge cluster.

7. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    The electronics you are working on would definitely be worth it's own thread in the electronics section of the forum for sure! I've taken a brief look at the Adruino from time to time but haven't actually purchased one yet and started tinkering with one. Maybe it is time I started doing that! I've found a double DIN carPC that I'm considering but since I've got a 71, the dash/console aren't really set up for installing that so I'm looking at a custom or modified dash. I could go with a newer dash that does have space, as another member here started working on awhile back, but I like the idea of keeping the original dash layout, but with a blacked out screen where the guages are that light up when I start the car and the same for a side screen that lights up to control the stereo, a/c and other stuff.

8. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Brought it home today to start working on the interior and took it for it's longest drive so far. It ran great and had no issues. The dash is all removed and I'm starting to gut the interior. The new sail panels, rear 1/4 inserts and carpet have already been purchased and are waiting to be installed. Just need to paint the metal part of the dash and steering column.

camaro build 473.jpg camaro build 472.jpg

9. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    We also made a bunch of progress on the digital dash cluster and I'm really happy with how it is coming out. Here are pics of one of the small touchscreens that has already been programmed and tested.

camaro build 474.jpg

Headlight and wiper menu
    camaro build 477.jpg

NeoNeuro likes this.
  10. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    The digital dash cluster is looking very good