Budget Build Twin Turbo LT1

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hoppin5478, Aug 5, 2015.

1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Getting the plumbing into the engine compartment was interesting. It still needs to be fully welded but here is how the tubing it mocked up coming out of the trimmed bumper brackets and under the core support.

camaro build 536.jpg camaro build 537.jpg camaro build 538.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    It's difficult to see but here is the passenger side plumbing mocked up in the engine compartment. We installed the fans and got the power steering reservoir mounted. It's a tight fit but it fit together fairly well.

camaro build 440.jpg

3. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Took another step forward and took it for a short ride yesterday. It still needs to be tuned and it was the first run on the disc/disc brake conversion so I took it easy but did get into a little boost and you could tell its gonna be fast. The brakes didn't feel quite right but we found a leak at the prop valve and I decided to order a disc/disc valve. All the chassis is new and I need to get an alignment on it as it was a little squirrelly. Next on the list is detailing the eng compartment and start working on the door hinges, panel alignment and body prep for paint. I forgot to take pics again but I'll post more once I swing by the car this weekend.

4. carcrazed

carcrazed Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great improvising there! Looks like a great project. Love the twin turbos!

5. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I haven't had a lot of time for the build with work lately but finally got a couple pics today. We cut out the area behind the lower grill insert for better air flow to the intercooler and radiator. Here is the front with the bumper cover on.

camaro build 443.jpg

6. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    The prop valve showed up today and the door hinges should be here Monday so I'll knock those out this week. We started welding up some small rust holes in the usual spots. The car is a solid AZ car but sitting for 20 years near a pine tree caused some small spots in the usual problem areas on the lower fenders not to mention somewhere along the line someone drilled holes to install bodyside mouldings. Not a big fan of the tan interior on a yellow car especially with the black trim so starting to change it over. The sun ate or warped most of the plastic anyway so I'm gonna need new pieces and somehow the carpet faded green? Ordered the new black dash pad today and gonna look for some 4th gen seats for it this week. My seats are available once I get the new ones if anyone close needs them. They are in decent condition considering. One cool feature we are looking into building is full digital dash cluster and possibly heads up display so we'll see how it goes.

7. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Got a ton of work done the last couple of days. The new door hinges arrived and we installed them. All things considered I'm really happy with the alignment. It's nice that they have so many adjustments but also makes it a pain to align them. The fenders just need slight adjustment because it looks like the previous owner mis-aligned them trying to compensate for bad hinges and poor door alignment. They are nice and smooth opening and closing now. :D

My new hinges, forgot finished pics....
    camaro build 429.jpg

8. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Pulled the rear glass because it was leaking and it had silicone/ who knows what applied at some point. My first time doing glass...

Glass removed

Cleaned up and re-installed, just need to clean up a little urethane around the inside window but not to bad for my first time.
    camaro build 431.jpg camaro build 434.jpg

9. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Getting ready to clean up some of the interior and the dash pad should be here today. Picked up some 4th gen seats for $35 that are in pretty good shape and gonna order some new covers.

camaro build 428.jpg

Interior is rough
    camaro build 438.jpg camaro build 435.jpg camaro build 436.jpg camaro build 437.jpg

10. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Here is a better picture of the intercooler installed and the lower bumper cut out for better air flow. It should look relatively factory with the upper/lower grill installed.

camaro build 467.jpg camaro build 479.jpg