Budget Build Twin Turbo LT1

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hoppin5478, Aug 5, 2015.

1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    As usual my Camaro comes with it's up's and down's and today was no exception. I got it out to a car show with my Dad's car club and spent some quality time with him and the cool members of his group.

The GTO and Camaro

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

It was a blast and made my Dad really proud.

Then disaster struck and it overheated on the way home. It started with the temp gauge starting to go haywire and read incorrectly on the way up. Then the battery in my laptop died with no warning so I was flying blind in regards to engine temps. Lastly it had no issues on the way up to the show on about a 30 minute drive with heavy traffic and hot afternoon temps so I really didn't have my guard up with cooler weather and less traffic on the way home. It starts with a text from my Mom (they are next to me) that it looks like I have a leak and within 60 seconds steam starts to slowly come out of the engine compartment. I get off the freeway asap and it's boiling the water in the radiator. I let it cool off and drove it a short distance home. So far no water in the oil or anything suspicious but I really need to go through it and make sure I didn't blow a head gasket or damage anything. I'll pull the SD card out of the megasquirt and see what was going on temp wise but it seems like a water pump or thermostat is the likely culprit since it really didn't lose to much water and it just randomly developed the issue.

Oh well, even if it gets a new motor it was worth it to have a priceless afternoon with my Dad. :)

2. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Went through the logs and checked a few things on the engine and it looks like going to be ok. Engine temps climbed up to 250 but for a pretty short interval which probably saved it. I replaced the thermostat to be safe but it looks like a faulty radiator cap was the culprit. The cap wasnt holding pressure at relatively low temps when I tested it. Hopefully its all fixed and ready to go again.

3. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Did you know that a YouTube channel called "Hand Built Cars" made a video of your build and posted it? Basically they took all your pics and merged them into a video.

John Wright likes this.
  4. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for showing me, I was totally unaware. I have mixed feelings. Although I should probably be flattered someone appreciated the work and took the time to put it together, I kinda wish they would have reached out to me first. Thanks again!

On a seperate note Im getting ready to go to another show with my Dad next weekend. I almost finished polishing the intake and Im getting ready to build a headliner and finish the interior. Hopefully Ill have more pictures soon.

5. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    I suspected as much. I've been watching that channel for a couple of weeks and all the videos give me the impression that they are trolling various forums and public picture collections to create the videos. They have quite a few from the Roadster Shop. They never mention owners or give any background info, which seemed a bit shady to me. I guess you could protest to YouTube if bothers you. After all, they are trying to make money off your pics.

6. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Ya, I just want to say thanks again for the heads up. I'm going to mull it over a little more but I don't think I'm okay with how they went about it but this just may be a byproduct of how things work now. Anyway, I appreciate it.

7. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Maybe if you can prove to youtube that it is your car, you can get any revenue the views of the video of your car receives.

8. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    That might not be a bad idea, I'll watch to see if it starts getting a lot of hits.

Well, I finally have a few days off and almost finished polishing the spare intake. I almost gave up on this job because it was so much work, I feel like I sanded 5 pounds of metal off this thing, the factory casting are really rough. I also got discouraged finding an efficient way to sand all the tricky areas. I wound up getting an extension for my rotary tool and an assortment of drum sanders from 1/8 to 1/2 and it worked pretty well. I still need to hand sand some tight areas with fine grit, sand with 2000 grit and buff it but it already looks serviceable with just a rub down of Never Dull.

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

I think I'm going to powder coat the fuel rails black and get some stainless hardware for the intake and it should look really good. I still need to polish the throttle body, make a headliner and paint some interior trim before the show next Saturday. Hopefully I can get it all done.

9. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    That intake looks great! That's really going to pop once you get it finished. You might want to consider some clear powder coat. That way you won't have to polish it all the time.

10. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX