Budget Build Twin Turbo LT1

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hoppin5478, Aug 5, 2015.

1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Been super busy at work but I was finally able to get some time to work on the camaro today. I finished running the water lines for the water injection and got some of the wiring laid out for it.

IMG_1376.JPG

Went with an autobot logo until I get a new Z28 one.

IMG_1364-1.jpg

I also thought this was a cool profile of the car.

IMG_1358.JPG

2. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Well the heat is finally starting to let up out here and I'm hoping to go to a show with my Dad on the 18th. I still need to get the windshield replaced and wrap up some small tasks but I think I can get it done. I pulled my extra intake and started polishing it to help finish off the engine compartment. It's coming along but I still have a ways to go....

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

3. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    The car spent all day at the glass shop today getting a windshield. l think they were a little concerned working on it and didnt want to make a mistake. They waited for what looked like 2 of there better techs before tackling it but they did a really nice job and were careful. Im glad to have that out of the way. I felt pretty proud on the compliments I got today. People seem to really like it and I had one guy at the glass shop try to get me to put a price on it, I politely told him I plan on keeping it and enjoying it.

4. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That is nice to hear the glass installers were willing to take their time and wait for the right techs to come and do it. Businesses like that deserve a nice shout-out and recommendation.

5. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    For sure, I give these guys a good reference whenever I can and really appreciate quality work.

6. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Beverwijk, Netherlands
    nice project man, i'm going to read it from scratch, must be thrilling to drive with the turbo setup.

7. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you. Its a different expierence with the turbos and I really enjoy it. It drives like a mild mannered stock car until you need the power and put it to the floor. It makes boost quickly and gets going in a hurry.

8. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Beverwijk, Netherlands
    yeah i believe that, i'm also thinking about a sbc 383 twin turbo, but i'm afraid it's going to loose the agressive muscle car character
    but first building the whole car. enough time to think about an engine choice

9. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I'll be honest, my Brother is the turbo guy and has been for years so he was the one that really talked me in to the turbo benefits. I think the exhaust note really defines a muscle car and having not done a turbo car before I was worried I might lose some of that. I have a clip of my exhaust somewhere on my thread but I don't think there is a noticeable difference and it sounds good. I think the blow off valves give it an even more aggressive sound when they kick in. I guess the biggest difference and maybe drawback, is that you generally run a more stockish cam and don't want much if any overlap in a boosted application so no lumpy muscle car idle. It's not for everybody and definitely complicates the install, more money etc. but I have 0 regrets and thoroughly enjoy driving it.

10. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Beverwijk, Netherlands
    i think you describe it really good,
    an cam with big overlap would not be a big problem ( good for spool ) but it's not the most reliable and your turbo life is also really short then.