Budget Build Twin Turbo LT1

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hoppin5478, Aug 5, 2015.

1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Got the extenders for the window crank today and I'm not super impressed. Its just steel tube with the threaded end welded on, I was hoping it was threaded on the inside but only a small Allen screw keeps it from slipping on the factory regulator post. I'll make it work but I could have built something better for what they cost.

IMG_1318.JPG

2. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Still have a few things left to finish but I'm working on replenishing the Camaro fund for a little while. It's nice to have it running and driving though and I've been thoroughly enjoying it even with it not being fully done. I sent about 70 logs over to my brother so he could comb through them and see if he sees any issues with the tune and it looks pretty good, a little rich in a couple spots but nothing critical. I also need to drop the tank and work on a baffle for it. The fuel slosh is pretty bad and I had it shut down on me one of the times I nailed it with a little over half tank in the car. We have emergency fail safes set up in the programming to help protect the motor and shut it down immediately if anything gets wanky but I still feel lucky I didn't damage anything. It's a beast, more than I could ever put down on the street but I still need to go through the rear suspension and decide what I want to do, factory springs, composite springs or maybe even some type of 3 link/4 link. It still has the open diff, which also needs to be addressed and upgraded axle's will get put in with it but it's kinda fun being able to roast the one tire super hard and still have the car want to go straight. :) Once I get the posi in it I'm sure it's going to want to get sideways when it breaks loose. Eventually I'd also like to uprade some of the front suspension as well, tubular upper and lowers, and some things like that but honestly just getting it back on the street with all the work I've done already is super rewarding.

3. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Finished off the door panels today by getting the window crank depth all worked out. As usual a fairly simple job took most of the day and it I had it over I would probably just ditch the manual regulators for power ones. I'm really happy with the door panels overall and have gotten a lot of compliments already. It really wasn't to bad of a job and would have been a lot easier if I had power windows.

I started off by cutting the end of the regulator shaft off down to where the groove was for the handle clip. IMG_1319.JPG

Next I shortened the adapter I bought by cutting about 1/8 inch off the end.
    IMG_1320.JPG

I then drilled a hole through it so I could plug weld a hole on each side and ensure it was firmly welded to the regulator shaft.
    IMG_1321.JPG

I plug welded it and then cleaned up the shaft with a flap disc. (still sloppy in the picture)
    IMG_1322.JPG

And finally a functional window crank that works correctly and is the correct depth for the custom door panels.
    IMG_1323.JPG

4. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    don't know which way you want to go but I did post some items you might want to see if you can use on here or pm me for more details

5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Those door panels look fantastic! I do have electric windows for mine so won't have to mess with it like yours but that won't be for awhile.

6. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Thank you! Electric windows make it way easier and it really wasn't a hard project, just a little time consuming. I learned a lot in the process and next time I'll make them even better. ☺

7. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks Twisted, I'm not sure how I missed your post earlier in the week but I appreciate it. I've been through your thread a few times and really like how the ridetech stuff looks, you did a really nice job. As I get closer to tackling it I'll pick your brain for some help but it's gonna be a while.

Twisted72 likes this.
  8. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    thank you, so have you,

9. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Slowly chipping away at the remaining tasks. I was really hoping to get out with my dad memorial day and attend a show with his club but there is still way too much that needs to be done and I couldn't get it to the glass shop for a windshield before they closed today. Maybe. I'll take it out anyway just to pop the hood, it starts some interesting conversations.

I did a lot today although I don't have much to show for it. I cleaned up a bunch of wiring and added some weather packs to the gauge cluster to make it easier to service. Unfortunately I accidentally grounded one of my screens and blew the voltage regulator on the adruino. Hopefully I'll have that fixed tomorrow. I installed more of the dash and also wired up the leds in the door panels to come on with the running lights. Hopefully I'll get a bunch more done tomorrow and have some pictures to prove progress. ☺

10. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Snapped some pictures of the leds hooked up at night. It doesn't show up real well in the pictures but it creates a cool effect with the digital gauges.

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017