Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hoppin5478, Aug 5, 2015.
Sweet build moving along quickly.
Looks like a fun car, should be a blast to drive.
We made a little more progress and got the exhaust welded up and in to the tranny tunnel. Just waiting on mufflers, a throttle cable and some misc. small stuff and we'll try and fire it up. I'm sure there we'll be some bugs on start up but I'm still really excited.
a local guy here has a turbo'd LT1 4th gen,. he canned the opti and is running efi connections setup so he can run an LS based ECM
Here is one of the best articles around.
Took another huge step yesterday and fired the motor up. I'm super proud of my brother, with out him this build would have never happened. We took extra steps along the way but when you change this much and do so much from scratch you never know what unforseen issues will pop up. My brother did an outstanding job setting up Mega Squirt, the sequential integration with the coil packs and factory optical sensor not to mention all the fabrication and layout of a jammed engine compartment. I'm amazed the engine fired right up and with in a minute he had it idling. The thing sounds awesome and I'm really excited to see what it is capable of. We just need to finish the exhaust from the mufflers back and get the intercooler ordered and installed (no small task there) and we should be able to start tuning it.
that setup looks awesome! What manifolds did you use?
Thank you, to help keep it a budget build we went with some eBay stainless center exit turbo manifolds for a standard small block Chevy. I picked them up for $80 bucks and figured if they didn't work I wasn't out to much. Since the D ports are different on the LT1 and the manifolds didn't really fit in the engine bay, I bought 1/2 steel plate and made new flanges. We cut the originals off and trimmed back the tubes so they would hug the block a little better and give more clearance for the proportioning valve and HVAC box. My bro did the fabrication for me and has quite a bit of turbo expeirence so he had a lot of insight on what might work. We'll see how they hold up after a bunch of heat cycles but so far so good.
Made some more progress but forgot to take pictures so I'll have to post them later. The intercooler arrived and we started the install. It has become a real challenge to get the plumbing routed, not nearly as much space in the nose as I thought. We had to trim the bumper mounts, route the tubing through the bumper mount and turn it up just below the core support. My brother has his hands full welding up all the tubing and snaking it back in to the throttle body. It's gonna take some time but the engine compartment is coming together nicely.
Took some pictures, albeit not the best quality...
Here is the intercooler mounted.