Budget Build Twin Turbo LT1

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hoppin5478, Aug 5, 2015.

1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks guys! I think with a little more effort I could probably even find a common motor that fits a little more centered. I'll see if it makes a difference once the glass is in and mirror mounted when I go to adjust it. Although when I checked the motors and moved it all around it looked like the range of motion should be good.

2. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Started working on the door panels today. I've been looking around at pictures online to get some ideas and finally came up with something. Here is what I have so far.

IMG_1280.JPG

On the bottom left I'm inserting Plexiglas and going to edge light it and ill probably put a piece of trim through the middle to break it up. I saw a similar style in a picture online and the trim broke it up nicely. Most likely ill move the door handle forward and down a little so its not directly above the armrest\door pull. I need to pick up some foam to sculpt the bottom of the armrest and then I can start stretching material over the armrest and speaker pod so I can start the fiberglass process. I think I'm going to paint the lower section gloss black and stretch vinyl over the speaker pod. Most likely ill paint the armrest gloss black and upholstery the top half in black vinyl with a yellow insert, vertical pleats on the yellow with black stitching.

3. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Yesterday I got a bunch of odds and ends done. Cut and buffed the spoiler and installed it. I bought some "auto weather-strip' at home depot to seal between the spoiler and body/deck lid. It worked out surprisingly well. I cleaned up all the dust in the interior and installed the 1/4 trim and sail panels. I priced out taillight lenses and they just aren't in the budget for a little while with everything breaking on the other cars and the house. I wound up color sanding and buffing the lenses I have even though they have some crack and one was missing a piece. They actually look pretty presentable but when you get up close the cracks are still noticeable. I fixed the missing chunk of the back up lens with some clear acrylic. It doesn't look great but is functional.

IMG_1275.JPG IMG_1274.JPG

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I painted the inside of the tail lights chrome silver. It makes it brighter.

5. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Great minds think alike... The housings were starting to show fiberglass threads so I actually did paint the inside of the housing a metallic silver and the outside black to help protect it. It does seem like the lights are significantly brighter than before.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I`m glad that it worked out for you.Keep up the good work.

7. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That is great idea! If I was doing power mirrors in mine, I'd look at something similar but since I want the bone stock look of my dad's 71, I will be going with the non-powered chrome side mirrors.

8. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the compliment, I try to think outside the box and sometimes it actually works. :) I wish they had a set of non power mirrors for the later models that could be painted body color since I'm blacking out all the chrome but I couldn't find anything that I thought would look good. I think I found a better sized power mirror motor out of a late model Civic if I don't like this set up.

9. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    The heat has been crazy here this week, I think as high as 115 and I don't think its dropped below 110 so I haven't had much energy after work to get stuff done. This weekend I did manage to accomplish a few things though, painted the rear inserts between the taillights, the lower portion of the door panels and got the plexi and backlit leds installed. Did some fiberglass work on the armrests and speaker pods as well but still have a ways to go.

Here's the leds, I used blue but they don't look as good in the pics as real life.
    IMG_1283.JPG IMG_1282.JPG

10. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Two thumbs up! Great idea. I'm saving this one because it's something I've wanted to do as well. Did you use the control from the Camry too? You going to do the passenger side? That one would take more work of course.