Budget Build Twin Turbo LT1

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by hoppin5478, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Camarocore

Camarocore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 18, 2006
    NY
    cool project i must say
    i know its budget minded but i would go with single plain intake and bigger Tbody.
    just saying

2. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Ya, I wasn't clear on the optispark. The optical pick up is actually pretty solid and most of the problem seems to be with the cap/rotor design. I removed the rotor and coil pick ups from the cap, sealed it up and we are running the optical pick up straight to the megasquirt.

3. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the compliment. I hear ya on the intake/throttle body. It'll be interesting to see how out plays out, I kinda suspect under boost the heads will be the biggest restriction. Once I finish the budget build I'm sure I'll go back and upgrade a bunch of it.

4. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Finished the turbo oil feeds/returns today but it was pretty time consuming. I also forgot my crank hub was off a 94 camaro and the accessories were off a 94 caprice. Unfortunately the camaro has a shorter crank hub that was painfully obvious when I went to install the belt. Fortunately the hub is readily available and since the caprice accessories sit a little further forward we didn't have to notch the frame to much for the ac. Hopefully I'll get the cooling system and intake worked out soon and it'll be ready to fire up.

I spliced in the oil feeds off the galley on the oil filter housing.
    View attachment 40499 IMG_0722.JPG

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  5. Camarocore

Camarocore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 18, 2006
    NY
    believe it or not but on turbos the heads flow not really effects the performance like on NA or Nitrous applications
    i think you good for 14psi
    but!
    those Lt1 got one weak bottom end.

6. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Im only planning on running about 8 psi and hopefully around 450-500hp. I'm hoping the bottom end holds up but I guess we'll see. Im sure down the road ill I have bigger hp goals and pull the motor to beef it up.

7. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Progress feels slow this week but all the little things take time. Finished the plumbing on the turbos and checked the feeds/drains.

Here is the pass side drain, I wish I would have welded the bungs to the pan when the motor was out but we were unsure where the drain placement would have to be with the AC installed. We used the tap method and it worked pretty well. The drivers side drain is similar.

IMG_0720.JPG

8. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    We also tested the fuel line for leaks as well as made sure the return could handle the upgraded pump. The Siemens 60lb injectors came in and were installed.We also finished finished up some temporary cooling lines to see what would fit. My brother is just finishing up some fabrication on the intake tubing and exhaust and we should be able to fire it up very soon.

camaro build 439.jpg

9. jay7199

jay7199 New Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Texas
    great build, I have a extra LT1 i considered doing this same thing but I my goals are a bit higher at 550whp, and I don't trust the stock lt1 shortblock for the job, So a LSx motor is going in.

10. hoppin5478

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    The LSX are a great choice but I just couldn't find a good deal on one. I also think the installation cost can creep up pretty quickly on the LSX once you start factoring in the oil pan/motor mounts and stuff like that. The LT1 was virtually a drop in and even all my 4 speed clutch linkage bolted back up with no modification. We'll see what the car actually puts out once it's tuned but I'm fairly sure the 450-500 hp I was looking for is very conservative on this set up. I haven't worked with many LT1's so my knowledge is limited but we'll see how it responds.... if/what breaks on it....