Budget air compressor

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by sooner, Aug 7, 2009.

1. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Perry,Ok
    Im in dire need of an air compressor, but on a pretty tight budget so im looking for a good value/ good quality air compressor. Any ideas on compressors under say $300? Thanks in advance. btw, can be either 120 or 240v

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Most of the "inexpensive" air compressors under $300 with enough volume to run air tools are going to be oil less. They are noisy and aren't meant to last a lifetime but will be OK for the average weekend mechanic.

3. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What do you intend to use it for?

Did you want to get new or would a used one be ok with you?

4. sooner

Mar 11, 2009
    Perry,Ok
    I would be fine with a used one. I really just want to get the best one I can get for as cheap as I can get it.

Im just going to use it mostly for weekend projects, but I would like for it to be able to keep up with a die grinder, dynafile, or 90* grinder/cutoff if possible. is that asking a little too much for a cheap compressor?

5. sooner

Mar 11, 2009
    Perry,Ok
  6. buckeye79

buckeye79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Crestline, Ohio
    I don't have any experience with Puma compressors other than you can buy them at harbor freight.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Unless you buy a good expensive die grinder, it won't run on any 110v compressor. The cheap die grinders are such air hogs that they need at least a 220v compressor to get above 10cfm, and preferably more.

8. Mr.SS

Mr.SS Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2006
    NS.
    I have a nice Husky 8hp that runs all of my tools with no trouble. It runs on 220 and has served me well in moderate use (not full time) for about 5 years with zero problems. We bought it at the Home Depot for about $700 here but I bet it would be half that in the US.

9. MEAN79

MEAN79 Veteran Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Manhattan, Kansas
    DON'T i repeat DON'T buy Harbor Freights air compressors. my step dad has a 60 gallon that he bought form them. and it is loud vibrates like crazy. and the pump started leaking a year after he got it. He still uses it when he needs to but regrets ever buying it.

10. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I researched air compressors and from what I read Puma is in the same league as CH and IR compressors. I was going to suggest looking on CL because I bet you will find some nice deals if you are patient enough.