BTTB71SS Pole Barn or Man cave as i call it ;)

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by BTTB71SS, May 26, 2011.

1. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Yes there is, I have seen them, and if you left them out, the county won't final the building. It's just like lateral bracing that goes along the bottom cords from end to end. They are on every engineered truss drawing that I have used. They prevent roll over in an earth quake.

It's true that trusses are self supporting, but that doesn't mean bracing members aren't required to install them correctly. Your above information is a blanket statement and is absolutely incorrect.

2. leafs_11

leafs_11 BANNED

Jun 24, 2009
    ive built more shops and house than most people have ever seen.
    trusses are self supporting period.the lateral bracing are for deflection.
    ive taken engineering and truss design.if you look at truss drawings each member has a letter,then go to the bottom of the drawing and it will tell you if the brace/support is a tensile or compression member.only compression members need lateral support.like wen you get 2 ft of snow there is alot of pressure on compression webs,they bend sideways and snap.
    trusses work on a push me pull you.one angle member is a pull and ther next is a pull.thats how it transfers the weight to the outside walls.

if you dont finish your ceiling the bottom chord on trusses is required to have strapping every 2-4 ft.this is to prevent sideways motion from weight.

take a tooth pick push straight down on it it will bend sideways and snap.
    but a brace in the middle prevents that.

if a building inspector makes you put those braces in there that is his own rule,id like to see the code page or truss drawings that require it(MAYBE CALIFORNIA)a building inspector can make his own rules.

ive lost count after the 800th building i put up,im speaking from experience.
    roll over in an earth quake. ??????cmon.

3. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

leafs 11, yer loosing more and more respect from me when you post argumentative crap like that. i wont bother you with my resume' or the purpose of the braces or if they are needed or not but your know it all attitude does not win my vote.

4. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    Wow didn't think this would go this way just asking about knee braces...

5. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    Back to the shed.... Did you find the leaks??;)

6. BTTB71SS

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    Yep found the leaks Harry and got them sealed. Had to get on the roof to fix them.

After working on the lay out of the pole shed and starting to organize it, I need more space :)

7. Marks71BB

8. BTTB71SS

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    No need to apologize man...

Things happen ;)

9. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

LMAO Welcome to my world! 4 outbuildings with room to park 18 cars and my DD sits outside every night!:screwup:
    How the hell to we accumulate so much crap?!:confused: :crazy:

10. Marks71BB

Laine-O My dd is parked in the attached garage, not for sake of the car but for my sake! I'll be dammed if I am going to scrape snow or get wet in the rain getting to my car just to make the hour drive into work in the morning.