Broken Rocker Arm

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by connorbe, Sep 3, 2017.

1. connorbe

connorbe New Member

Jul 5, 2017
    South Dakota
    Oh damn, that's a fantastic idea. My dad is a home inspector so he actually has one. I'm gonna borrow that today and take a look before I put the spark plugs in. Thanks for the suggestion!!

2. connorbe

connorbe New Member

Jul 5, 2017
    South Dakota
    Wanted to give you guys an update here, just incase anyone else has a similar issue and needs answers.

I ended up replacing all of the rocker arms, pushrods (for good measure) and the lifter for the broken rocker arm, because the pushrod had beat the living tar out of it and the retaining clip popped out, and I'm assuming now rests in my oil pan.

I believe this was a case of old stamped steel rocker arms that weren't equipped to handle a higher lift cam, she runs great now, haven't had an issue since.

3. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great, just in time for winter.

4. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    Great! I was reading this and thinking the last time i lost a rocker I had a small water leak into the oil as well......good thing your luck is better than mine.

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Usually when stuff dies like that I check geometry and pushrod length. Could have floated them as well. I haven't had many rocker issues with a flat tappet since the ramp rate of the lobe is pretty slow compared to a roller. I'd still be leery that you fixed symptoms and not the problem. Did you pull the valvespring to check the pressure at installed height and full lift?

6. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    I hope you got clip and whatever else fell in oil pan out.

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Worked on a Mustang years ago that swallowed a lifter clip, twisted the pump drive shaft like a pretzel. Not a Mustang guy and it had me real confused.

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Congrats man! Sometimes things do work out. Fish a flexible magnet up into your oil pa drain hole if you can find one flexible enough to sweep around the bottom and maybe grab the clip.