Broken Plastic Dash Piece

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by dsbratton, Nov 24, 2017.

1. dsbratton

dsbratton Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Rochester, MN
    What type of glue or 2-part epoxy would you use on this? The rest of the dash is in great shape, just has one this broken piece: [​IMG]
    TIA!

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I haven't found any kind of glue or epoxy that seems to hold on plastics like that. If somebody knows of a product that works, I'd like to hear too.

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I just used small screws going throu parts and a large tie rap cut to length, with a hot glue gun over that witch I am sure doesn't hold much still together after about 6 years, don't won't to touch it

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    For that I would be inclined to bend a piece of sheet metal as a hidden support. I looked at mine which is off the car and I believe you could use some small sheet metal screws on the ends to attach it to the surrounding plastic. Scuff both parts with 180 grit to give the epoxy something to bite into (metal and plastic) and use a good metal bearing epoxy (like this JB Weld) and that's as good as you'll get.

brooksman9 likes this.
  5. dsbratton

dsbratton Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks for the feedback. I was also thinking about using something for a hidden support. I am in no hurry, trying to gather advice for now and will post details when I finally attack it - which will be one of my winter projects!

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Superglue and baking soda. You can build it up as thick as you want once each layer is dry which takes less than 30 sec. Once built up it can be sanded or filed. Add the super glue first then sprinkle baking soda on top, then using a small paint brush, remove excess soda back on the work table to reuse. Then I use an old charge card to slide it back into my container like cocaine.

To repair the rear plastic flap on the rear of my push lawn mower, I used a piece of 1 mm plastic packing box (or you could use an old charge card or Hotel pass car) then trimmed it to fit, then applied superglue, then backing soda. I built it up to where I wanted it, then smeared black RTV over it.

The top left and right is a tube with a slot that holds the short rod on each side of the mower. So I used a strong piece of drinking water fridge tubing then made the slot piece which was broke off. The top right had a large square missing which I completely remade.

Other small cracks had super glue added then a dash of baking soda was applied on top.

This stuff hardens like a rock. I also use this procedure to fix my Dollar store reading glasses that I use in the garage that seem to crack easily.

[​IMG]Untitled by C O P O, on Flickr

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    dsbratton likes this.