Bring Nationals back to PA????

Discussion in 'Camaro Nationals' started by Nitroexpress, Jun 24, 2013.

1. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2009
    pottsville,pa.
    i have to wait til my work sch, changes next year to make it

2. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Ron, you got the right idea!!

3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I'm within driving distance and enjoy talking camaros of any generation, but my kids have gotten old enough to be involved with their "things" so I have been staying home to make sure that they can get to and from their "things"...Dillon has Marching Band and Music interests, and McKayla has Color Guard and Volleyball interests, so between those two kids we stay pretty busy and most of that stuff starts practicing and gearing up for the upcoming year about the same time as this show every year. Then again, I feel guilty spending money travelling up / staying there when we really have things kinda tight right now and try to spend what we do have on the kid's and their wants and needs.

4. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Ohio
    I've missed the last 3 or 4 years due to lack of money, work schedule, etc. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to go to Frederick because I would to try to make it next year, but for me the idea that it's Camaros only kind of lessens my desire to go a tad. One of the things I thought was great about having it at Carlisle was the fact that all GM cars were there. I love other Chevys and Pontiacs and although Camaros are the main attraction for me, I do like to look at other GM cars.

Question- how many vendors were there in the swap area this year? What Camaro restoration and aftermarket parts suppliers were there? I always liked the HUGE swap area at Carlisle too.

5. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I haven't been to Frederick yet - I will though. But in a way I agree. I liked all the different things and cars that show up to Carlisle. I'm not gonna say I wasn't a little disappointed when the switch was made.

Are the events on the same weekend? Is that why Camaro numbers are down with two big shows so close to eachother?

6. rgreat76

rgreat76 New Member

Jun 24, 2013
    West Virginia
    Although I've not been able to attend in a few years, I've been going to the Nats since 2001. This was my first year in Frederick. We had the best time ever. Laid back, friendly atmosphere. Camp Nasty was the icing on the cake. Everyone made my son and I feel welcome (even with the 4th gen,lol). The Maryland Camaro Club went out of their way to make sure everyone was taken care of. I was told numerous times, if I needed something or if there was a problem, let them know and they'd take care of it. This show was truly for the us, the Camaro community. I can't thank MD Camaro Club or the guys and gals at Camp Nasty enough. Already planning for next year.

7. April81Z28

April81Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Eldersburg, MD, USA
    Yes, they are on the same weekend.

We had to keep the same date for the first year since people had already made plans to come to the Camaro Nationals. Once we found a venue that could accommodate that (as well as everything else we needed) we found out that it was the only weekend that the Frederick Fairgrounds had all of the space available that we need.

Since we are at the mercy of the lessee and Carlisle owns their property and has changed the date in the past for the GM Nationals - well, you draw your own conclusions.

Factor in the state of the economy and the price of gas....

8. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I will say, personally, the fact that both are on the same weekend, I know is cutting into folks going to the Nationals.

Carlisle had I believe over 300 Camaro's this year, and another couple hundred Firebirds. How many of those folks would go to Maryland if it were not on the same weekend?

Just thinking out loud though, I know there are other things dictating when things are held

9. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Whut?
    I've wanted to go for a few years.... at 50 MPH I'm not driving my camaro to anything more than 50 miles away... at least until I get new rear gears, lol.

I had just bought a house and as much as I wanted to go this year wasn't happening. Maybe next year.

10. bygblok

bygblok Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Pensacola Florida
    I wish they'd bring it south so I could make it. I'm not about to drive OR trailer my car all the way to Maryland from Florida. Bring 'em to Nashville/Atlanta/Memphis.......please?