Bring Nationals back to PA????

Discussion in 'Camaro Nationals' started by Nitroexpress, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Nitroexpress

Nitroexpress Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2005
    "Rochester" NY
    So what are the chances the Camaro Nationals ever come back to Carlisle, PA ?????

I was bummed when I finally got my car done that it was moved to MD... Sorry but it's just too darn far to drive to MD at least PA was somewhat doable & more centraly located for most who come from the north east.
    " this is just my opinion... " How are the entry #'s now compared to when it was held in PA are there more cars now at the MD location or less,spectators as well????

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Never. What is it, maybe an hour past Carlisle?

I could not go this year, but last year we had a lot of camaros. more than Carlisle

3. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I recall someone asking and the number was around 450 cars...
    we also had the location debate and the general concensus was it is about 60 miles further...

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Forget about going back to Carlisle,PA. The Carlisle Fairgrounds and all their car events throughout the year are planned, operated and marketed by a professional paid staff.

The facts remain that The operators of Carlisle and the ACC/MCC (organizers of the CAMARO Nationals have significant differences and issues
    regarding all facets of the show.) They could not be worked out before and one can only assume that nothing has changed on that front

The venue at Frederick is much better in terms of indoor building space, outdoor showfield space, and I think the camping space is closer and bigger than at Carlisle.

The BIGGEST problem in my opinion is that neither venue is being supported by CAMARO enthusiasts from easy driving distance.

I'd like to have a honest headcount of how many members from this web site showed up for even one day. I'm thinking 50 members (plus any tag a long family/friends were in attendance)
    This site has I believe 35,000 members and ??? who are somewhat active.
    How many live within a 3-4hr drive ranging from Northern VA to NJ and
    maybe Pittsburg on the west.
    I just think the nastyz28 turnout is terrible given the popularity of the web site, the popularity of the CAMARO hobby and amount of members.
    This is the biggest all CAMARO event each year and its gets minimal turnout from this website.......

Anyway Email me or call me 206-226-6465 and I'll tell you I really feel.

I WAS THERE again for my 10th or 11th consecutive year.

5. April81Z28

April81Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Eldersburg, MD, USA
    If you are coming from Rochester, Frederick is about an hour south from Carlisle.

Chuck pretty much nailed it. The odds of going back to Carlisle are somewhere between slim and none. The Camaro Nationals was the only show ever held at Carlisle that was not a Carlisle Event Production. The GM Nationals were built around the Camaro Nationals. After years of dissent and disagreement with the folks at Carlisle, the ACA (American Camaro Association) decided to pull the show out of Carlisle and move it to a different venue where the show could be run the way it should be - for the enthusiasts.

Give it a try!

6. MadMike

MadMike Administrator Staff Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Dawsonville Georgia
    Jaysus Chuck, take a laxative will ya.... This year was tough on everyone. I sympathize with folks who have to choose between paying their bills, or traveling a significant distance to a freekin car show. Yeah, we all know that this show is great, and it can be improved, but you got to be realistic as well. And you can't badger people into going. That's counterproductive.

I see a couple points:
    I will actively try and better work with April to do the "show within a show". I've always been careful to not try and go too crazy since this isn't my show. But april is a longtime member here, and we, collectively have a vested interest in continuing to grow this event - FOR CAMARO enthusiasts & their families.

This event is put on by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts with the proceeds going to CHARITY. It's not about the almighty dollar and corparate bottom line. As such, I don't care where the event is held... I am going to where the people are. The people went to Maryland, so I went there too.

I don't like the backend politics that's happening, but that's what we got.
    I personally, quietly looked into the potential of moving this event to a formal racing venue/facility... but... the location in Frederick is obtained for a set period of time, and in reality, the venue is very adequate for whats going on.

Scott said it well elsewhere about the bottom line of what's going on in Frederick. This whole event is to not only have fun, but give every last nickle to the childrens charity when it's over. If the event is in PA it's competing against the other entitys maximizing its ROI, while propping up the other show on top of that.

After leaving MD, I had to go to CT... so I drove straight up I81. It's about 60 miles, or 1 hour south of carlisle.

There's 42507 registered members as of right now on this site. I can't make any of them do anything. All I can do is educate and convey to them, those who are within a realistic (for them) traveling distance... the benefits of attending.

With all that said - location doesn't matter when we're sitting down in Camp Nasty at night, BS'ing and whatever... it doesn't matter if I'm physically in PA, MD, GA, or anywhere else.

7. dcart1

dcart1 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2009
    springfield,ohio
    I live in Ohio outside Dayton and that is where I-70 and I-75 intersect, so you would think it would be easier for everyone to get to.

8. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Here, Here!!

Having never been to Carlisle, I really like Frederick!! I'm about 3 hours away,
    it's not a bad drive.

Sinks on fences, ground hogs and the space to smoke your Hoooka--LOL

9. budbrewer1

budbrewer1 New Member

Jun 19, 2010
    central NJ
    And have a cold one !!!:)

10. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

my 2ยข

I have not missed a Nationals since 2006.. and I have always brought a Camaro, every single year I have attended.

It was 2009, I think, that I did bring a clapped-out old IROC that wasn't worthy of putting on the field... but as April pointed out, it was a Camaro.. and I did register it to support the show.

I'm not a trophy hound, that should be pretty clear from the black car I usually bring... it's built for flailing the snot out of.. purely for the enjoyment of the car.
    Mike and April will tell ya, it's "NASTY" in every sense of the word... lol;)

^all that being said.. I agree Frederick is a much better venue.
    Sure, the owner of the venue wants to make a profit, but they are very accomidating to our needs and wishes.

I agree the ACA puts on the show for us, the Camaro enthusiast... not for monetary gain.. which I applaud!!

I spend a lot of time trying to promote the show.. and will continue to do so.. mostly by word-of-mouth. I aslo want to state that I am in no way authorized by either Nasty-Z or the ACA to do so.:innocent:

I usually say if you wanna attend a "family event" come to this show. I stress that it is about the Camaro family as well as about the actual presentation of the show which is tailored to be a "family friendly" event.

I applaud the efforts of all folks involved in this endeavor... keep up the good work!!
    Hope to see everyone again next year... and for those who haven't attended, come see us.
    It's a great show with great people at all levels of participation.:)