Brembo brake setup

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Seventy1ProTour, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Seventy1ProTour

Seventy1ProTour Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Huntersville NC
    Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on completing my setup. So far I have the below parts either ordered or installed:

~Manual Brakes~
    -Brembo SS 5th gen calipers
    -5th gen rotors machined to slide on hub
    -Bigbrake Upgrade parts
    (10 bolt rear brembo brackets)
    (Brembo brake line to 2nd gen line custom)
    (Front spindle modifications necessary, will be done by BBU)
    -Right stuff detailing master cylinder
    (1.125" bore)
    (Disc/Disc capable)

My question is, what adjustable proportioning valve should I get? Wilwood? My thoughts are that I will need to mess with converting the fittings to mate with my setup i.e. wilwood has 3/8 -24 outlets front and rear with 3/8 inlets, for which I believe the 2nd gen is the same outlet front but 9/16-8 outlet rear and the inlets are different as well, 1/2-20 front and 7/16-24 rear?

This is something that I only want to do once, so maybe someone has installed one.

Thanks.

2. SS Performance

SS Performance Member

Nov 17, 2016
    If you are going with manual(non-power) brakes you don't want a large piston master cylinder.

Wilwood offers several proportioning valves with different inlet/outlet sizes and styles.

Seventy1ProTour likes this.
  3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    That is usually the case. My smaller Wilwood setup on my '70 used 7/8" bore and my larger Wilwood setup is 15/16".
    They figured the right piston size by using the caliper piston areas. Above my head stuff.

I wish I could help you with fitting sizes. I had to use adapters on the lines in and out of the Wilwood proportioning valve with the stock master. They were available at Auto Zone. There are not a lot of options out there for different sizes. Just some English and metric.
    For the new setup, I gave up and decided to do all new lines. The stock stuff does not clear subframe connectors, sits too close to the headers in the engine bay, etc....

4. Seventy1ProTour

Seventy1ProTour Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Huntersville NC
    I just got off the phone with Scott over at bigbrakeUpgrade and we discussed my setup. I think I will be fine with the 1.125" bore and if it feels off I can always change it. I will be running Earl's lines custom fitted with each fitting. The proportioning will be a small project to get perfect, will most likely use the adaptor fittings to get it right.

5. SS Performance

SS Performance Member

Nov 17, 2016
    With a bore that big you will using a lot of pedal pressure for little braking.

You need to thing of the bore size as pounds per square inch. Smaller piston higher psi for same effort as opposed to lower psi for larger piston.

You move less fluid but at a higher pressure.

I have been down this route before. I went with the large piston. I could stand on the pedal and not lock up the brakes. Very scary in a panic situation.

6. Seventy1ProTour

Seventy1ProTour Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Huntersville NC
    Do you know of an easy bolt on MC I could scoop up at an auto parts store that has a bore of 15/16 or 7/8? Preferably one that won't require any more adaptor fittings.

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    Also, make sure you use the hole on the pedal that gets you the highest pedal ratio.

The one that was on my car came from a late 60's to early 70' Corvette. It was a 7/8" bore.
    I want to say '68 but my memory is not that good.

8. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Try the Mopar style. Alu body, weights next to nothing. Just need to elong the holes with a grinder a bit.

9. SS Performance

SS Performance Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Early C3 Corvettes had manual disc brakes and should bolt up on second gens fine.

What size wheels are you planning to run with the 5th gen brembos?

I'm thinking of doing a similar setup but not sure if my wheels will fit.

10. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    OP, I was looking into using Camaro brakes as well, just be mindful that 5th gen Camaro wheel bolt circle is 5x120, Corvette is 5x120.65 or 5x4.75" the only real answer is that no matter how you slice and dice it 5x120.65 ain't the same as 5x120 having said that .65mm is just a shade over 25 thousandth of an inch which is shared by 5 studs, why did GM do this?? some say it's same, I say well how can it be!! Dose it work, apparently so but I've never tried it, anyway I think this topic has been beaten up all ready, there is a good thread in here somewhere.