Brake light issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by PalmbchZ28, Feb 3, 2018.

1. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    During the week I thought I'd finally get around to find out why my horn didn't work. So I started with a normal check ground wire, check for power, cleaned up ground wire and reattached never got to finish had to leave. I don't think it was related to this brake light issue but the timing was pretty weird and the horn is the only thing that I have worked on since the bright brake light issue began last night.
    ...took the car out for a cruise and my left brake light now stays on when I turn on my headlights ...brake light works fine without the headlights or parking lights on...but as soon as I turn on my headlights the left brake light stays on ???
    At first I started to think bad ground but that really didn't make sense so I thought I'd ask.

2. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    ...which is wierd because the two brake lights in back are connected together in the trunk with light blue wire so if one goes on the other should too. What year is your camaro?

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    A bad ground at that light would cause problems like that. Also, the same symptoms can be caused by a bad bulb with an internal open or short circuit in the filaments. And, finally, the bulb seated wrong or poorly in the socket can do it too.
    Walk away from the computer and start some troubleshooting. :)

4. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Checked everything. Good Bulb but I guess it just went beserk...new bulb no more issue.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The dual filament bulbs used for brake and tail have a filament shaped like a Y. The lower end of the Y is the ground while the two upper ends serve, one for brake, and the other for taillamp. If the bottom of the Y breaks loose inside the bulb, power no longer can go from the top to the bottom so it goes in one side of the top of the Y and out the other side. That prevents the lights from doing what they were intended to do.