Brake dust

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Mountaineer, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Veteran Member

I bought my daughter a used Cavy, the front aluminum rims are black from brake dust. I tried Castrol super clean, works but not completely. Whats the best stuff to use (that won't mark my new concrete driveway) ??

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I don't know what removes it cleanly, but you can avoid having brake dust to deal with if you can find organic pads. They don't make a mess so you don't have to clean it up.

3. -=79z28=-

-=79z28=- Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    i use comet cleaning powder and a scrub brush to clean my aluminum rims. it works very well, you can also use a scoth brite pad to add a little semi-gloss sheen to the rims.

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Had some old aluminum z28 wheels, pretty nasty looking. As above, Comet or Ajax and a brush. Might scour up the finish some on your wheels, mine were a cast looking finish anyway, but hit with some rattle can clear and I'd say you'll be good to go. Liquid cleaners are pretty limited on stuff like this.

5. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    If the black dust has been sitting for years, its never gonna come off completely without starting to remove the finish like the guys said above, it is acidic and will etch into the powder coat. If the more aggressive wheel cleaners won't take it off with some aggressive scrubbing...

6. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    I feel the best rim cleaner is Eagle-One for aluminum. I have use it for years with no problems. They have one for ruff cast and another for polished. I also have used a brass brush for stubborn deposits. This stuff is awesome in my opinion.

Good Luck!!!!

7. Shadow-D

Shadow-D Veteran Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Schenectady, NY
    I agree 100%. I've used it on my old Fire bird, the dust was on the wheels for years, no one ever tried to clean the wheels due to all the fins on the 82's, and it brought the wheels back to new with a little elbow grease :bowtie:

8. 3leeboys

3leeboys New Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Gilroy, Ca
    I use any brand wheel cleaner and a couple of used sheets of the "Bounce" fabric softener (the already used ones work the best) try it, I'll bet it works.

9. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    i use the eagle one mag cleaner and a toothbrush. works great.