Body Bushings Replacement: How to with tips

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by sandiego74, Oct 27, 2012.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    It's been so long that I don't exactly remember. Are they all different sizes? I thought I remember them being all the same.

2. Overtrained

Overtrained Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Merrick, NY

Follow the numbers stamped into the bushing according to the diagram they give you. The smallest ones are the front radiator support. Piece the parts together on workbench, it looks confusing at first but it will click.

3. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    Great thread. Subbed so I can look back as I'm about to start my solid swap soon

4. tbrostrom

tbrostrom Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Portland, NY
    Just got done replacing my subframe bushings. Thanks to instructions from this thread the job is relatively easy. Fortunately the underneath of my car is in great shape, but really do yourself a favor and soak the bolts with PB Blaster for at least a week and the bolts should come out very nicely!!

5. z28code

z28code Member

May 4, 2008
    ont
    any one confirm or deny that solid body mounts will crack body seams over time ect?

6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Even with the PB (good stuff) I still had to heat one of the caged nuts with a propane torch to loosen it up. I heated it, then hit with a blast of PB and you could see the PB get sucked in. It came lose really easy then. Don't break the cage. It will make the job much more difficult.

7. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    I did not have a problem with the bolts as much as the donut rubbers had welded themselves to the subframe and body. THAT was fun.

8. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I haven't had any problems as of yet.

z28code likes this.
  9. Bandittransam

Bandittransam New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Any possibility of reposting those pics. Looks like the pictures are no longer visible due to the way photobucket has change their hosting and now charges

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    If you are using Chrome or Firefox as your browser there is a add-in available to fix the Photobucket issue. Seems to work pretty good for now, but it may not last as PB will probably try to break it