Bob Lutz is senile

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bourbon_scotch, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Here's an article addressing the car hacking
    https://www.caranddriver.com/features/can-a-connected-car-ever-be-safe-from-hacking-feature

TLDR: FCA wasn't using standard computer security protocols to prevent their cars from getting hacked. The leak and standards were fixed with a patch and the industry has (in theory) learned it's lesson.
    No new computer security techniques are needed to secure cars, they just need to follow the standards used in most other places

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 13, 1999
    Brighton, MI
    It's probably not a good idea for me to say exactly what we're doing to prevent hacking. I will say this, whenever we propose releasing a new algorithm into the ECMs for production, we have to meet with someone from the cybersecurity department, and convince them we've taken appropriate steps to prevent hacking. So, you know, trust us :crazy::crazy::crazy:

3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Wouldn't it be easier to hack on star, etc since they already have remote access to multiple systems in the cars?

4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The insurance and auto industries are Thinking very hard about this issue and the lawyers will look for every opportunity to make a buck on the shift in the environment. Corporations have much deeper pockets.

As cars become more autonomous the liability will shift from the individual to the corporation. The question right now is what is the point where that threshold is crossed and liability permanently shifts to the manufacturer or seller of the vehicle. Take Tesla for example, where is the liability if there is a failure in one of their systems vs. driver error? That’s why the “black box” in cars is becoming much more sophisticated and are now regularly used to determine fault. Think about how long it took to determine who was at fault when that guy drove his Tesla through a truck. It was like an NTSB airline crash investigation.

The lawyers and courts will ultimately determine the criteria for determining liability and that will happen much quicker than you think.....the insurance industry will quickly provide products that respond to where the courts take the issue and corporations will line up to buy the products.

5. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    I wondered about the number of accidents where cars went to full throttle and caused several accidents. Sometimes fatal. Some of the drivers were inexperienced and just knew enough to go down the road. Others though, were experienced drivers. One was a police officer with pursuit training. I wondered why they didn't just slip the transmission into neutral and let the engine grenade itself if the rev limiter didn't hold it down. It seems the shifter on a lot of those cars was an electric shifter and it wouldn't shift out of gear.

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    Coming to Chandler AZ... now.

7. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    As Lutz was getting at,the idea is that the average life expectancy of a car is 16 years. If they make self driving cars mandatory it will take about 16 years until almost all cars are self driving and then they will make regular cars illegal to drive. They are talking about having these "pods" running tandem back to back at speeds up to 150mph because there will be no variables in their path.Good luck being the front car when a deer jumps onto the road. As was also said car ownership will simply be a thing of the past. I can't wait until someone calls for a "pod" and it shows up with the last person's puke on the seats or smelling like someone spent the last 6 hours chain smoking inside it.

8. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    I can see why kids wouldn't want to drive in Jersey. I think they can't drive after dark or have more than one person in the car with them until they are about 21 years old. They are also close to the age of graduating high school before they can even drive. I couldn't even imagine being 17 and having my license and my first car and having to be home by 4:30 in the afternoon every day because I got my license at the end of November. Heck,I even slept in my car for a night or two back then which certainly required driving in the dark.With today's rules it wouldn't even be worth it to drive at that age.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Yes it is Rich. My kid could not wait to get his license so he could have freedom. and he's not alone. from what I see the "kids don't want to drive" thing is greatly exaggerated.

And it's not dark, its 11pm-5am, with provisions.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/gdl_definitions.htm

10. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ