Bob Lutz is senile

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bourbon_scotch, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

From the age of 10, I walked or rode my bicycle. I remember taking some stuff to my aunt, 30 miles away, one Saturday. When I started working regular hours, mom got tired of taking me to work and picking me up late at night. When I turned 16 and one month, she took me to the license branch to get my license. Then we went back the next day as you had to be 16, one month and one day. It certainly beat the 3 mile walk home each day. Granted, dad did give me a ride to school in the morning. I had to hoof it in the afternoon when time wasn't an issue.

Smokey15 likes this.
  2. bmxmann

bmxmann Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Fargo ND
    Personally, I think its a good thing! If I can sit and do something else while on a couple hour drive down the interstate... why not? Also for people like my wife, she would love it as she doesn't care to drive. Assuming they can make it safer than a standard person driven car, I would be all for it. I think it will be a long ways off to have a car without some sort of steering wheel for those times where your not driving on some standard road, like parking in a field for some event. But who knows maybe the car could just drop you off at the entrance of said event then go park a couple miles away in some standard parking lot then come pick you up when you call it? How cool would that be? Or you can have your own car drive you home when you have had too much to drink! Not sure how the legality of that will work out though.

As for Electric, I am also looking forward to it. Instant Torque, and if they can improve it to get better mileage and possibly combine with a solar panel type option so on sunny days it wouldn't need to be re-charged or charging stations that can "refill" it as fast as a gas pump can fill a tank, hell yeah. Only draw back is you dont get the cool engine noises. Are we there yet? I dont think so but they have made great progress.

I dont think they will not be able to out-law all "standard" cars in anyone's current lifetime, so my camaro is safe. Plus at that point, probably the only people actually driving then would be people like us on this board that actually pay attention while we drive (you do, right?), so hopefully it will cut down on the "mini-van totals classic camaro" type articles.

3. ol' grouch

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

I look for problems in about 5 years when the majority of cars sold have automatic braking, not just a few high option models. WE have two colleges here in town. I have to drive past one each way to and from work. The little darlings are constantly rear ending each other on the 4 lane highway. Little Jimmy or Susie will assume I have automatic braking and cut in front and stop short. I'm old and my reflexes aren't that good by then and my large Mercury sedan shove them down the road a ways.

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    LOL what does the Prius have to do with autonomous driving? :)

I suspect this transition will take a LONG time, and there will always be some human-operated vehicles. I enjoy driving sometimes, but sometimes it's a straight-up slog- commuting, 3-4 trips to the pool, I-95 to FL... These are the places where I LONG for autonomous driving. Other times, like the back roads of WV headed to Mom & Dad's- I'll take charge, thanks. And I suspect I'll be able to do that until I reach the age where I really shouldn't be driving anymore.

There will be some positives- reduced traffic jams, increased mobility for elderly. I recently read that the average cost to own and drive a car in the US is around $9000/year. If Uber/Lyft/Waymo/etc. autonomy takes hold and becomes widespread (which will take time), lots of people could go without owning any car, and just summon one when they need it. That cost, estimated at today's prices, comes in around $3000/year. For lots of folks who aren't "car people," that's a compelling case.

5. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Automation could be good for goods hauled, but when ones self or family needs to go here and there like right now! Then nothing beats transportation at ones immediate disposal.

6. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    This very discussion came up at work the other day. Unfortunately, us internal combustion loving individuals who enjoy driving, are obsolete. Once autonomous vehicles are perfected, we are a liability. The younger they are, the less kids want to do anything for themselves. There's not much we can do, but when the day comes that anyone tries to take my keys, they will have to pry them from my cold, dead hands. And I will take a few straight to hell with me.

7. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    I for one do not think self driving cars will be fully implemented anytime soon. The ethics issues are awfully hard to work around.

8. ol' grouch

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

My mother drove until she went into a nursing home. She knew her limits and I kept the car up and watched it like a hawk. There wasn't one nick, dent or scratch on it when I sold that wasn't there when we got it. I wasn't happy when she mentioned she had bought several batteries but when I looked at the receipts, it was a garage charging her battery. She'd drive a block to the store and then a block home. Eventually, the battery wasn't charged enough to start the car. It wasn't much and she could afford it so she had a car for her independence.

In a heavily built up urban area, autonomous cars might make sense but around here, not really. I'm not a fan of companies like Lyft or Uber. Uber is raking in the dough by avoiding regulations that cover cars for hire. {taxis} There also isn't any background checks on the drivers they hire. I think by the time they become common though, I'll probably be sitting in the old curmudgeon home gumming my gruel anyway.

FlaJunkie likes this.
  9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I grew up in the Pittsburgh area. I could not wait to get my license. You could get a learners permit at around 15. All the guys I hung out with were swiping their family cars for years and joy riding. I could never do that. Fear for one, and my Dad always had the car. One thing is where I lived I just had to walk up the street to catch a Trolley or Bus and get transfers to get from one side of town to the other. Just needed to have the schedule. Otherwise I rode my bike everywhere. Self drivers might work in some areas but not all. Like many have said it is a ways off and I will probably be too old to give a sh*t. I thought we were supposed to have the Jetson's Mobile by now any way. Can you imagine how many collisions we would have if that were true.