Bob Lutz is senile

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bourbon_scotch, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Ride hailing transport in urban areas might have viable option of automatic control. Cars operated by humans always are getting improvements to help avoid collisions. I say the day when vehicles are ALL fully not human controlled will never happen. So many applications would not be practical controlled without human. Take the construction industry for example. Trades all use specialized vehicles with sorted specialized tools on and off road in all sorts of intercoordinated situations. Tractor trailed deliveries or materials in unfinished terrain take highly experienced operators judgement. These applications just don't lend well to cookie cutter computer control. That's before you even consider the political backlash from a large part of the public if they are asked to give up their freedom of movement for some inferior short ranged government mandated form of Car.

2. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

I suspect transportation will change as much in the next 20 years just like electronics have in the past 20. The technology is here, it's just time to implement it cost effectively.
    Buh, bye internal combustion engines!! :(:whine:

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Agreed.
    I think the legal issues are not even close to being resolved. This could slow it up more than the technology.
    What happens when you DO get hit by a self driving car? There are way too many variables for even the best computer systems to be able to handle. The lawyers will be all over this for whose at fault. The person stepping off the curb that thought the car would stop in milliseconds. Juries will love awarding huge settlements to the person. Your self driving car made me a paraplegic and now I want to own your company!

4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Rented a new Corolla at Thrifty in Dallas last week. Took me a while to acclimate to all the features.

We were driving towards Dublin to go to old Doc's soda shop. Freeway traffic. I figured out how to put the cruise on and it worked great. 5 minutes later, the damn thing turned off, or so I thought. I re-enabled it and it immediately turned off.

Finally figured out it was using radar and decided I was too close to the car in front of me and turned off!

I eventually found a bypass button, but I'm betting that won't be there in a decade.

Fully automated cars, here they come!

5. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
  6. bourbon_scotch

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    good lord...... Bosch, one of the world’s largest automotive suppliers, has responded to an increase in demand by dedicating more than 2,000 engineers to driver-assistance systems

my mind is going to explode

7. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    More likely that you hit a Self Driving Car!

8. bourbon_scotch

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
  9. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    And in two decades it won't need to be. It will communicate with the car in front of you and it will speed up if there is room to do so.
    The biggest roll out issue will be that some cars have it and most don't. When ALL the cars are autonomous, they will actively communicate with each other and pace themselves to the conditions. That's still a loonnng ways away. But it will happen.

Chevrolaine likes this.
  10. 70lt1z28

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Good thing the Prius' airbags didn't go off. It would have flipped that tank right on its top!