Bob Lutz is senile

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bourbon_scotch, Nov 8, 2017.

1. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
  2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Unfortunately, kids today don't really want to drive in the majority of cases.Mom and dad have hauled them around all their life. Law makers are located in urban areas like New York and Los Angeles. I hear all the time about using mass transit. That's not an option around here. Electric cars are the future. Well, not here. Hybrids maybe but I'm old and spoiled and I want my a/c in the summer and heat in the winter. Both suck range from electric cars. Some of the roads I have to drive you know they are roads because there aren't any trees growing on them.

I have two great nieces. The oldest one hates driving. She only does it because it's better than walking many miles to school. As a bright spot though, her younger sister can't wait to start driving. I offered to buy the older one her first car like I did her mother and aunts and uncles. The 12 year old has already started talking about what she can get.

budro6968 likes this.
  3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    He's not wrong.

And there are people now who can't wait for that day to arrive.

Now I'm not one of those people, but I know some of "those" people.

It's a ways off, but the day will come when the bulk of new vehicles will be self driving.

I hope it's not in my lifetime though.

carr911 likes this.
  4. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Automated vehicles are just starting to become a reality. Uber has taken over the taxi business and they are dumping cash into self driving cars. I can't see people driving themselves anywhere in 20 years. Us car guys are a dying breed. Good luck pulling the steering wheel out of my hands.

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    A Camaro of course!

6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I agree. There are many who do not enjoy, or want to, drive. And, way too many morons, who shouldn't be, are driving.
    When I was getting close to my 16th birthday, I couldn't wait to get my license. Now, the coddled masses of kids these days, who can't even exert the effort to take the trash to the curb, are used to the mom and dad taxi. I could see the demise of driving when the majority of wussies with drivers licenses can't even drive a standard transmission.

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Population too is a driving (no pun intended) factor. Near population centers you can't seem to build roads fast enough. Added lanes on highways fill up fast. I sit in traffic sometimes and am just in awe at how inefficient drivers are. Big gaps between cars and drivers dodging in and out of lanes. How many times do you see traffic come to a stop like there is an accident or lane closure ahead and then move along and suddenly the traffic goes faster and then there is nothing there? This could all be managed so much better by machine-computers. I think its inevitable. It may not be fully electric cars unless batteries make a quantum leap but self driving cars will happen. Eventually (50 years?), a person driving will be I think illegal except under very special circumstances. Don't think it won't happen. It has in a way already. Try taking your 1898 Daimler on a highway. Unless it can go the speed limit it's illegal. The same type of logic will be applied to old, person driving cars eventually.
    The kids of today will lead the charge on this. All those kids that don't want to get their license, ask them if the car would drive itself and you could just sit back and look at your phone and Facebook or Instagram or whatever while it takes you where you want to be, I bet they would be all over that in a heartbeat.

8. zzzzz28

zzzzz28 Veteran Member

You hit the nail directly on the head..... couldn't have described it better!

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Ok not all kids..... my kid could not wait to get his license and he wants a camaro.

"Mom and dad hauled them around"... how else does a kid get around?

Chevrolaine likes this.
  10. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, pretty much spot-on.

It's coming but like Champ said...hopefully not in our lifetime...at least us older guys. ;)