Blueprint 383 Crate Motor Failure

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 70ZFORME, Apr 29, 2015.

1. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    post a pic of the engine im looking into a crate engine, ill definitely consider blueprint for coming thru

2. BLOWN78

BLOWN78 New Member

Feb 17, 2015
    bedford,va
    in fact lucas has a set of oils, break in motor oil , an hot rod motor oil I ordered it off summit stinks an is high in zinc.. 5qt jug for 20$ ! I keep hearing about other oils. but yes there is no additives. I used this oil and their additive. so why not do this every oil change . since most other high zinc oils are like $40-80 every oil change?

3. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I've been using Lucas oil products too. Hey 70ZFORME what was Blue Prints explanation for the engine failure? I've been concerned recently over cam breakin problems. I've built probably a dozen flat tappet engines in my life and I never had a cam lobe failure until now. I bought a 79 bronco with a recent rebuilt 460 from Jasper. It became clear shortly after I started driving it that the cam or lifters had issues. I checked the valve train and there was lash on multiple rocker arms. This is a hyd. Flat tappet so I disassembled engine. I'll tell you when I heard about washed lobes I figured it would take a caliper to measure and verify washed lobes. Man I can't believe the wear on this cams lobes man you can see the wear across the garage. All the crank bearings have bad wear. The pistons and cylinders show NO wear so this was indeed recent rebuild. I don't know what oil the engine was fired up on. I've purchased a Comp Cam extreme 4x4 cam and lifters for rebuild and read their literature about the breaking issues and warnings. I've never checked camshaft endplay like I hear talk of. I know we use the button and solid timing chain cover on a roller cam but on a flat tappet how can the cam move when the retention plate and gear bolt hold it in place? Another question what about the oil pump. I've. Not taken it apart for Inspection yet. Anybody bet it got damage with the cam lobe and crank Bearing metals?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  4. abshire1006

abshire1006 Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Gueydan la
    sorry to hear that man, I have a BPE sbc 396 and it runs amazing with 0 issues, I also only have about 1000 miles on it. best of luck

5. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Alabama
    Whats the word on the replacement engine, 70ZFORME? How's it run?

6. 72_454

72_454 Veteran Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buckeye, AZ
    And did they tell you what went wrong in the first engine?

7. ToolGuru

ToolGuru Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Detroit, MI
    Nice. The kid writes a book about his experience, BP backs their warranty, kid proceeds to complain about the time it will take to get replacement engine then gets it and can't put it right in, then leaves everybody hanging as to what the problem was. :rolleyes:

8. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    It's a derail but for the rotella haters here in 4 stroke mx race motors I ran 60hrs all full throttle up to around 13000rpm, always rev limiter happy, and always running rotella, racing semi-pro level. Valvetrain is similar to a flat tappet in the way that the cam has no roller setup between the lobe and cap. Had great results when I put a new piston in it, the valvetrain looked awesome. Ran it another 30 and sold it. Just an example of rotella at work. Almost everyone in the MX community runs rotella. Go to any nationals track and ask the pros what they run.

9. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Maybe not telling about the problem was part of the warranty deal...

10. ProjectCam76

ProjectCam76 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    No news is good new, right? I guess he didn't have any problems with his 2nd engine or we'd know about it by now. lol