Blueprint 383 Crate Motor Failure

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 70ZFORME, Apr 29, 2015.

1. 70ZFORME

70ZFORME New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Blueprint warranty status

Thanks for all the comments, I did follow the break in to the letter and no this is not my first rodeo. I did not tear the engine down before sending it back, didnt want to void the warranty. I am still thinking it was probably a cam lobe. All the plugs looked good except number six. Completely fouled out. My guess is that one of the valves in that cylinder are not opening. I also think zinc is not the cure all. Up until recently I never added anything to the oil expect STP for break in. Cheap chinese metal may have something to do with it. And yes this engine survived the intial break in. It wasnt until about 300 when it failed. Called them today and they received the engine yesterday. Said it could be up to 4-5 weeks before I get a replacement. If you guys have seen the couple pics I have posted you can see a have a car that I am very proud of and deserves to be shown off. It was built completely by me and my father in law in a small garage. Metal work, interior, paint, suspension, electronics everything. 4-5 weeks in the best part of the year to drive a car with no ac sucks. I worked my butt off to have it ready in time for spring and the guy on the phone today told me it takes 5 weeks to build a motor. My machine shop can do the machine work in a day and I can build one in less than 6 hours taking my time. I don't care to wait I wish I would have known that before I pulled it in my garage. Now I cant work on anything else and I don't have my car to drive. Garage is on a hill or I would push the darn thing out.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I feel for you, and glad BP is willing to work with you. Hopefully the 4-5 weeks they're telling you is a worse case scenario and you'll get the engine quicker. I know our local machine shop won't turn one in a day, unless it's something extra special.

3. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Gardner, KS
    If it makes you feel any better, my motor took 8 or 9 weeks for me to get it back from the machine shop....Guy is good, but slow as hell....

4. 70ZFORME

70ZFORME New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Warranty Status Update

The warranty process is not a quick one. However they seem to be taking care of me very well. The company is honoring their warranty and upgrading the motor to a roller setup as promised. They are even pulling a new block as mine does not have provisions for the spider for the GM style roller lifters. They are shooting to ship the motor back to me on June 22nd. It is a very lengthy process and I wish I would have put a motor in as soon as I pulled it just so I could have driven the car.

5. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Gardner, KS
    I feel for ya, this sounds like a painful process...Sounds like pretty good customer service....Is the roller upgrade costing anything?

6. 70ZFORME

70ZFORME New Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Blueprint warranty status

I finally received my new engine. The whole process took quite some time. They kept their word and completely replaced the defective motor. It is a different block with the roller cam and factory style roller lifters. The dyno sheet claims 456hp and 466 lb tq. All below 5700 rpms. I am pretty sure they didn't even reuse my heads. I can't find any trace of them being the old ones. I am busy this weekend and can't drop it in until next weekend but I will update again to let anyone that is following how it turns out. I feel pretty good about this one and I am sure they followed strict quality control being a redo. For my sake I hope this one is a good one. They even painted the block orange as i requested but left the oil pan black. Not a huge deal but a pain either way.

7. 79zBlue

79zBlue Veteran Member

Apr 7, 2012
    long island ,NY
    good luck with it, enjoy it

8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Sounds like good customer service.

9. volsfan

volsfan Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2008
    daytona beach, fl
    Glad to see they stepped up and did the right thing! Props to you Blueprint!!

Good luck with this one!

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    If you go solid roller, your crazy. There's going to be a lot of hammering there and the rollers can't take it. Sorry.