Blue smoke after warmup

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Doruntrus, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Doruntrus

Doruntrus New Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Springfield, MO
    Hi all, I have a minor issue that I was hoping to get some experienced input on. I'm getting blue smoke from the passenger tailpipe as the engine starts to warm up to temperature. It doesn't happen on initial startup.

The car has sat for a while, with only being started a couple times for brief periods over the last year. I put on a new intake, headers, and dual exhaust in that time period, as well as replacing the driver side head gasket. It didn't smoke beforehand, so I'm hoping that it's just due to sitting so long and maybe some oil finding it's way into the headers. But I'm paranoid and was hoping to get an opinion from some of you more experienced guys, lol.

I realize that it could be rings or valve stem seals, but it just seems unlikely that those would manifest after a period of sitting.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Its not the headers.Did you have the heads rebuilt ,It could be the valve guide seals need replaced ,

3. Doruntrus

Doruntrus New Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Springfield, MO
    I definitely did not have the heads rebuilt, unfortunately. Since I'm hoping to start putting together a new 350 soon, can I just run this for now if it is the valve guide seals?

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Just watch your oil level and don`t run it to much if you can.because it will foul spark plugs,

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Use extended tip plugs (I.E. R45S) if you have flat tops.