Blown 79 Z28 Camaro Make it Better Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Bandit723, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Posting this tip over jig so i don't forget.
    Here is the parts list for the rotisserie.

The curve parts was made from a 1 1/2 desktop I had around. 30 x 24 x 1 1/2 with around a 24" radius. I screwed one side of a piece of metal into it then rotated it from the bottom until it went off the board.

2: 2 x 8 x 84 for the Main boards
    1: 4 x 4 x 42 for the front connect point.
    2: 2 x 6 x 24 for the leg on the rotating side.
    2: 2 x 6 x 30 for the other leg.
    2: 2 x 4 x 36 for the Up portion
    2: 2 x 4 x 60 for the Up portion brace.

Here is the material list.
    Wood
    2: 2x4x8 ft
    2: 1 1/2 x 24 x 30 Rotating pieces.

20 7/16 x 5 bolts
    4 7/16 x 6 bolts
    Attachment bolts:
    3 1/2 x 8 bolts (front)
    2 1/2 x 6 or 5" bolts (front 4x4)
    8 1/2 x 8 bolts (back)

IMG_0518_Small.jpg

2. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Started scoping out this winter's work. Have a lot on my mind would like to swap out the 700R4 trans not happy with the 700R4 to a 4L80E but at the end of the day will cost about 4K saying that i can put my money to better use for now. Bonus here is that i did get a good price on the trans core $300.00.

Listening to the public or my peers the exhaust or car sound is not what they expect. I did go with a pypes x pipe and the race pro mufflers pretty quiet at cruising speeds. One guy stated he did not even hear me pull up to the gas station.

Moving on I am looking at pulling the rear end and getting a good set of sub frame connectors in. I did buy a competition engineering that fit horribly i am going with https://www.cachassisworks.com/c-529-pro-touring-g-connectors.aspx.Good or bad but they work for my needs.
    I will also update the rear brakes so new drums, pads etc...

Also am going to pull the interior out of the car have done this before so should not be a big deal. I will refurbish what i can and reach out for what is needed.

Did pull the pipes apart from what i had before it was a pita but this is just a test to save money i do have enough segments to weld on if needed.

Also did add some storage to garage as well as cleaning stuff up.

_DSC0804.JPG _DSC0805.JPG _DSC0806.JPG _DSC0804.JPG _DSC0805.JPG _DSC0806.JPG

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  3. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Very creative on the roll over jig, I like it!

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Started working on patching my OEM fender wells. Metal is a bit thin in spots ".7mm" so just a hair over 24 gauge. Anyways I don't think i have ever welded on that thin of metal and is proving to be a challenge but I am getting thru it. Pretty sure i bought the repop wells this spring because I did not have the time to mess with the old ones but at the end of the day the oem wells do fit much nicer.

Welds are far from perfect at this point but next steps is to hit this from the back side and will use a piece of copper to help out as well.

Few pics of todays work.

Patch piece was able to get the curve to match fairly well.
    _DSC0807.JPG

Piece sandblasted and as usual has some cruddy build up that just does seem to want to come off sandblasting very easily aircraft stripper does not work on this stuff very well either.
    _DSC0809.JPG

5. Budjet drain

Budjet drain Member

Dec 3, 2016
    Wallisville TX
    Bandit im runing the 2.5 pypes exhaust with the violator muflers and mine sounds like a Harley Davidson. May want to try the violator muflers out.

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Thanks Budjet for the suggestion. I will take a look at them.

7. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    I've always had good luck getting a quality sound out of the Flowmaster Super 44's. I have a set on a bone stock late 80's 350 with true dual 2" pipes and stock manifolds and I actually get compliments on how good it sounds although it is slow as can be. In the Camaro I used the Summit chambered mufflers. They sound pretty good but are a little on the quiet side for me. They don't quite have the tone the Flowmasters do but I'm sure the turbos also have an effect on how the exhaust gas sounds coming out.

Nice job on the inner fender wells. It's been my experience that thinner steel can be challenging. I run .030 wire for most stuff but I'll drop down to .023 for the thinner stuff and I've had good success with it.

8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I second the super 44. They are nice. I also like the magnaflos. Magna bit quieter with no resonating. The 44s resonate some

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Thanks Guys for the muffler advice. I guess i was willing to try another product offering "did not cost that much" but behind the scenes figured i would go back to the flowmasters i do like the statement that the 40's that i swapped out make. I am also a bit concerned that i am getting some exhaust restrictions with the setup i am running now the engine seems to want to breath more than what this is allowing see it in the tuning as well as the performance.

Did look up the 44's they do have good reviews and the price is right so i will try these first.

Hoppin I was using a .030 wire i will get the .023 and try that out Thanks!!!!