Blower Resistor?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 79supergasdriver, Dec 28, 2017.

1. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver Veteran Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    See attached images, please. Is this thing the blower resistor? It was in the top of the old AC box which I changed out for a smooth fiberglass non-AC box. Looks like one coil has broken. Can I cut a hole in the top of the new box and drop (a replacement for) this thing in, or does it need to be in a specific place/orientation, or can I omit it altogether since I'm not installing the AC system? 20171228_173758.jpg 20171228_173818.jpg

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    You need the resistor if you want multiple fan speeds. For A/C systems it is mounted inside the box, probably to get air flow to help cool it. For non-A/C systems it is in the heater control in the dash usually. A/C systems use a larger fan motor to move enough air to handle the air conditioning so cooling for the resistor is more important.

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.

GM put the resistor block in several places. They always have air flow over them to keep the wire coils cool. Default is full speed on the fan. the resistor block cuts the voltage back through resistance to slow the fan speed down.

4. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Nashville
    i wouldn't run a resistor on a non ac car. i put one in mine a few years ago but need to take out. reason being, 'old car 3 speed fans' don't run like you'd expect in newer cars. if i'm running heat in the old car, chances are i'm running on high at all times. jmo

5. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    They can be bought on ebay for less than $15,maybe 10. that do same job.

6. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Delray Beach Florida
    I removed under hood AC and installed a standard heater box. I mounted the resistor in the heater box as shown in pic below. Ran it that way for many years with no issues.

[​IMG]