Big bumper delete 1977 Camaro

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Procharmo, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Procharmo

Procharmo Veteran Member

Dec 15, 2008
    London UK
    My Big Bumper 1977 Camaro was purchased in the UK bumperless with C&C aftermarket T-tops which added to the mystery. Do you think the original US owner performed the bumper mods along with the T-tops installation?
    Does anyone in the US know of similar cars?
    When the car was painted back in '93 the painters lost the two fibreglass lower front valence quarter inserts. I plan to make my own or modify a 1970 RS lower front valence if its similar. Does any one know if I can buy the originals or were they a one off?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope someone out there can help me unravel this mystery.
    Thanks
    David

2. mr-oreno

mr-oreno Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Florida
    I have no idea but I sure do like the looks of it!

3. motionwannabe

motionwannabe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

my personal opinion is someone removed your bumpers. GM never would have left that huge gap between the front header panel and lower valance. it looks cool. i hardly believe it was ordered "big bumper delete" :bowtie:

4. Procharmo

Procharmo Veteran Member

Dec 15, 2008
    London UK
    A modest Thanks, although not not of my making I have kept this car due to its originality.

The gap was not there orginally. It did have fibreglass panels filling the gap. Painters lost, broke or threw them away.

The front grill arrangement consists of one 1974 -1977 grill upside down and one in the OEM position. The rear has an steel/fibreglass section welded/grafted to the original bumper gap. I also think the bumpers would have added at least 100lbs to the car. Anyone know how much the bumpers weighed?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  5. kelteke

kelteke New Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Ritzville, Wa
    The bumpers are aluminum [I think] so not much. The brkts on the other hand might make up the diff.

6. motionwannabe

the bumpers were upwards of 75lbs they have steel leafs like leaf springs and steel reinforcement bars in them. they are on my 77 and im removing all that heavy steel and tucking them in. a few other members on here have done the same. if yourcar had the filler panel and the painters lost,stole,or broke it, i would have been mad and made him pay for it. :bowtie:

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    You can now take the front header off and swap in a 70-73 if you want to go that route.

8. V8TEC

V8TEC Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The rear bumper assembly comes in at 104lbs, front bumper assembly is 96lbs. Both weights include the bumper, brackets, bolts & rub strip.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  9. motionwannabe

these bumpers definately arent light:bowtie:

10. 1FstChevy

1FstChevy Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Buckeye State
    The back end looks nice! ;)