Big Block Camaro's? Yea or Nea?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by StrongSurvivor, Oct 3, 2017.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    She sure is! By any chance...is that Fathom green?

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

There is a way to fit a big block under a flat hood just use an intake from a 19701/2-3 Camaro.

3. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    I am not a big fan of green, but that car is awsome! Nice work!

4. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Factory big block 70-72 Camaro's used a low rise intake and shorter motor mounts to fit under a flat hood. In 1970 the high performance solid lifter big blocks used an aluminum intake on the L78 & LS6 motors. The aluminum intakes were used on the large square port cylinder heads.

Like many have already said, there are pros & cons to both engines. It really depends on what you want to do with the car and the look you want! I think LS engine is where it's at today...
    There are ways to save weight on a big block cars by using aluminum engine parts (heads & intake) and not having AC. That alone could put you at the same weight or possibly less than a small block depending on options. I've seen a 1970 build sheets where a factory small block car used the same front springs as a factory big block car.

5. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    72’s used the same clam shell mount as the small block

6. 70 SS/L78

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Sorry I meant to say frame mounts for the engine. The big block cars and Z28's used a shorter frame mount for hood clearance. Not sure when the last year was for that... guessing 1972?? since that was the last year for the aluminum intake on the Z28 and the big block in a Camaro.

You are correct about the clam shell mounts :bowtie:

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    You can get a BBC under a flat hood, but like mentioned the flat intake manifold and a drop base cleaner doesnt help with big power. I personally don't like cowl hoods.

8. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    Second Generation Camaro Owners Group - Camaro Engine Mount Info
    1972 & Beyond:

Beginning in 1972 engine mounting was simplified in addition to strengthened. The mount design changed to the "clam shell" style of mount, where a steel bracket was bolted to the engine and the insulating mount was contained within a steel cage bolted to the frame of the car. The "mount" on the engine is gone - it's now a BRACKET. The "mount" portion is a rubber block captured within a steel cage. This is replaceable, but even if this mount fails, you probably won't notice.

To make things even more simple, and economical for Chevy - the 396 and the small block V8 now share the mounting brackets. So, swapping a big block into a 1972+ Camaro is simple. If the car was a V8 to begin with - you already have the "big block" brackets.

70 SS/L78 likes this.
  9. 70 SS/L78

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Good info, thanks!
    I should of known as I used to own a couple of 72 big block cars and recall things were changed on the engine mounts but forgot the details.