Big Block Camaro's? Yea or Nea?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by StrongSurvivor, Oct 3, 2017.

1. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    If it's going in a Camaro, BBC is never a bad choice. LS stuff is cool, but over 1500 HP my nod goes to the big block. I've built both. Going LS in mine since I had a lot of stuff laying around. When I want to step it up, there's going to be an aluminum BBC between the fenders.

2. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2003
    belvidere illinois usa
    when I was eighteen I owned a 72 Z28 it was setup with all the high performance parts of the day, I sold it when I got married and I told my wife when I could a ford another one I would be buying one, so I come across a 71 402 SS and I talked to a friend who was into big blocks and he told me if I had a big block I would never go back to a small block and I have to say that I would stay with a big block my small block was a screamer but having a big block is where its at.

3. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Florida
    First big block I put in a 2nd gen was my kids 79 Z back in the early 90's along with a fiberglass front end from cowl forward. He was hooked on them after that and now has a fully caged 76 TA pro street with a BBC. His favorite thing is carrying the front wheels through the 60' mark, always loved wheelies on anything, bikes, motorcycles, cars, whatever.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

It all depends on what you are going to do with the car. Big Blocks are fine for drag racing .And unless you run a ZL-1 aluminum engine,Small blocks handle a lot better.Then there are those "stroker"small block that I have heard of with a custom high deck block that can go to at least 427 cubic inches.

5. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    67-72 I’d go big block
    73-81 I’d go ls or small block just my opinion

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    BBC are cool and can a beast in any car. However the BBC is heavy (Its not about car weight, its about where the weight is). A ton of weight on the nose of the car isn't great for handling, regardless if you run the road course or not. Each engine has their pros and cons and totally dependent on the use of the car or more importantly owner preference. That being said, that's why the LS is so popular. Its lighter then a SBC = Good Handling, but also so technologically advanced, makes big power #s to be no slouch at the strip. Its not uncommon to see 9-10sec 1/4 mile LS cars. In fact I remember a few years back on "pinks", an LS7 was destroying everyone in its class. I think they were 10s cars.

I ran a 454 in my 78 Camaro (which would not fit under a flat hood), and a 350 in my other 78 then moved over to a LS1 and now a LS7 in my 70. I can tell you having ran all 3 variants, the LS is my far the nicest overall platform. 10 years ago, when I was building a GEN V 454 you couldn't convince me on a LS but now I'm sold.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  7. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    ^^^^^
    BBCs were for only one year.....................Nope. 3 year run, 70-72.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm losing my mind.....I knew I accidental wrote that, just didn't go back to edit it

9. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Corinth TX
    In retrospect I wish I would have figured out a way to fit the BB under a stock hood or a shorter cowl hood. One thing I must say I love about the BB is the right here, right now, right off idle grunt! 20170718_141851.jpg 20170908_093657.jpg

10. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    WoooHoooo ^^^^^^^ She sure is purdy!