Big Block Camaro's? Yea or Nea?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by StrongSurvivor, Oct 3, 2017.

1. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    I was looking through some photos this morning and came across a photo of a very well done second gen Camaro with a big block. I've always thought a big block was too much weight for a sub frame chassis and that handling would suffer as a result. I realize LS engines are now the power plant of choice, but what say you? Is a big block a bad idea in a Camaro?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    All personal preference and what you want to do. Big blocks are heavy, expensive, and go fast on the drag strip.

3. dsbratton

dsbratton Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Rochester, MN
    They are most likely using subframe connectors. That is what I will be using.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    They came with BB’s,so the factory thought it was ok. They don’t handle as well as small blocks. When the power and torque goes up,the chassis becomes the weak link and connectors or a cage is needed.

5. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    If they are both optioned the same a big block car wont handle as well as a small block because of the extra weight. Though you could have a highly optioned A/C small block car that weighs as much as a basic big block car.
    It all depends on what type of driving you want to do. If you are driving it hard around corners you want to go with a small block that is less weight. However, with today's aftermarket suspension & tire upgrades available you can make a big block handle pretty decent, a lot better than the factory big block cars did back in 1970-72.

6. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    I had always heard...but never verified, a BBC with aluminum heads would be about the same dressed weight as an SBC with iron heads. Can anyone validate?

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Not sure but I think the BB is till 25 to 50 heavier. The heads are maybe a wash, but the bottom end and block is still heavier. Now a ZL-1 is probably a wash or maybe a bit lighter.
    Not based on fact here, just in handling the parts over the years.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  8. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    I did a quick Google search on Chevy small block vs. big block weight:

Chevy small block V8 575 lbs. (generic for '60s-'70s motors)
    Chevy small block V8 535 lbs. (1) ('59 Corvette 283 w/alum. intake)
    Chevy big block V8 685 lbs. Mark IV

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    If you can get one for a good price I would go for it.

10. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    As mentioned, if you are looking at a specific use then buy accordingly. If you want to show off old school brawn or put some low ET slips in a photo album the a BB is the way to go. I you are looking for some modern retro pizazz the an LS with maybe some trick EFI might be your choice. I personally would put a BB in my lawnmower if it wouldn't be such a hassle!