Best way to affix a front license plate

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Doc76, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Doc76

Doc76 New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Hello folks,
    Brand new owner of a beautiful 1976 creme white Camaro, just like the ones I grew up with.
    Here in New York they require both front and rear license plates and, as I'm sure you know, the 1976 model year still has actual heavy chrome bumpers.
    I want to attach the front plate without doing anything too invasive to the car.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Doc76 likes this.
  3. Doc76

Doc76 New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Beautiful yellow Camaro! Thanks for the link. (BTW if you go down the left-most column of the page that the link sends you to, my car is #20 pictured)

4. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    There is a specific bracket for that and I had trouble finding one for a long time. I lucked out and found my original. I used to hang mine in the middle because I hated it being off to the side. Now.......I think I can live with it in the original location.

Doc76 likes this.
  5. Doc76

Doc76 New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Thanks cadillac_al: how does it attach to the bumper? I'm assuming it somehow fits right on there with some screws?

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

there are probably two holes in the RH side off the bumper for the plate mount. either find a used one or buy a universal one off the parts store shelf and make it work.

We are supposed to run front plates too. Mine is on the shelf in the garage lol. Never been bothered in 10+ years

InkedIMG_1161_LI.jpg

Doc76 likes this.
  7. Doc76

Doc76 New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Thanks BonzoHansen, I was really thinking the same thing about not running it at all, but just trying to be a good boy. I do see a couple holes there, but they look like they're covered or capped, also with chrome/metal. Just got the car and these are new to me, so I haven't had the courage to mess with it yet.

8. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl