Best value brand/ company torque converter

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 54baker, Sep 7, 2017.

1. 54baker

54baker Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Waverly, ia
    I will be starting a build thread soon on my 81 Z28 with a 408 horsepower 480 torque small block 392 Stroker. Mostly street with some weekends at the strip since I only live 20 miles away from Cedar Falls Raceway. I will check with each company to see what will work best with my specs and my goals. What I am after is what your opinions are as to the best company to work with, the best value, with the least slippage Etc. Thanks guys

2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Atlantic coast converter or ACC and they're also called Boss Hogg converters . im running their 4200stall 9.5" converter and works very well

54baker and RS1979 like this.
  3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    My last two converters have been ACC. They are well built and work great.

54baker and muscl car like this.
  4. 74BIBELOT

74BIBELOT Veteran Member

Hughes Performance converter.
    3000 stall/10 inch diam.
    Working fine after 5-6 year and some light strip use.

54baker likes this.
  5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Converters and value model is a bad thing. Coan and most big name companies got big because of repeat customers.

A lot of new or local guys talk a good game, but can't deliver.
    If you go with Coan or ??, they are full service, and are never closing their doors.
    Who knows if a value brand will be there tomorrow??

Good luck, race safe!!

Blown Camaro, Zstar and 71 rs BBC like this.
  6. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    I'm with mrdragster! Coan! Coan moved into a new facility I think it was 2 years ago. I work about 2 miles away from them. It's Nice! I've used Coan since the 80s. They'll taylor a converter just for your car.

7. fatkid_racing

fatkid_racing Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Saginaw Texas
    Freakshow performance in Abilene Texas.
    Custom built to match your combo for about $350. Or support commerce that supports this site. Jake Shoe at Jakes performance will custom build you one as well. Both Jake or Michael at freakshow will build you one hell of a converter and can taylor it to your build

54baker likes this.
  8. 54baker

54baker Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Waverly, ia
    Let me clarify....im not really looking for a "value brand". I'm looking for a good value. Some high priced accessories are not high quality. I don't want to just buy an expensive converter if it's not as good as another.... thx

9. Notalent

Notalent Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Dallas/LBC
    Freakshow will be your best bang for your buck. Do a search on Yellowbullet about him.

10. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Been happy with my 3200RPM CircleD convertor. I believe you can call them directly and they help you build/pick one for combo. Texas Speed also sells them.
    I have mine on a bolt on 02 Camaro. Put down 348HP with torque about the same. Mainly street driven and has good manners on the street.
    About 40 passes down the 1/4. Put about 45k miles on the car since installation. Alot of that in morning and afternoon rush hours in Houston.
    GL with your selection. Many good choices to pick from.

54baker likes this.