Best Turkey Yet

Discussion in 'Bon Appetite - NastyZ Style' started by GoldenOne7710, Dec 25, 2017.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I really outdid myself this time. I didn't have a whole lot of time to spend on it...so I took the easy route. Started with a 18 lbs turkey. Simply used Tony Chacheres injectable cajun sauce...mixed up about a cup with 1/2 apple juice. Injected in about 8 different locations around the bird. Then rubbed it down with Tony Chacheres cajun rub and put it in the fridge for about 11 hours.

Put it in the smoker last night about 10: PM and used maple chips for the flavor. Filled the water pan 1/2 way up with apple juice. Took it out at 7:AM and stuck it in the oven to let it rest. Wife carved it up a little while ago for dinner this evening. Been walking by to sample and I just cannot leave it alone. Good possibility there won't be any left for Christmas dinner with the wife's folks in a little while.

It makes my Thanksgiving turkey taste like buzzard...

budro6968, Smokey15 and Zstar like this.
  2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Yum! I that I must try that....

3. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    That description got me VERY hungry. Enjoy!!

4. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Showed my wife. We have a smoker. Now we'll have to try that. Thank You, Andy.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I got lazy and bought an electric smoker last spring. I did 2 large turkey breast at Thanksgiving for a family gathering - doubt I'll ever use my fryer on a turkey an more.

Christmas was Honey Baked ham. :)

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Smoked is my favorite way. I do mine breast down for the first couple hours then flip for the rest of the time. 4-6 hours depending on how big and how hot the fire gets. I don't like the deep fry turkey. Every one I ever tried was dry and tasteless. After I smoke one and want to reheat I put some on the top shelf in my gas grill and then let the skin get crispy. Especially the wing parts. It is like bacon.

7. GoldenOne7710

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I'll be honest, I actually mastered the deep fried birds a couple years ago. The ONLY reason I didn't do any this year is because the peanut oil is so freakin expensive. I rub the fried turkeys down with Tony Chacheres rub too. All the ones I've ever fried were juicy as you could ask for. You really have to babysit the fryer and monitor the internal temperature taken at the breast or thigh...it's easy to get distracted and overcook one. I maintain the oil temp at 350°F and shoot for an internal temp of 165°F in the breast meat. She's done at that target. Usually takes less than an hour for a 16lbs bird.

This smoked Christmas turkey is the 1st one I ever used this Tony Chacheres injectable and apple juice concoction on. Very proud of how it turned out.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I would like to try your version. My neighbor does one every year. I have had some from a couple others too. I can see what you mean by babysitting B/C I observed the cooking of several. They will walk off and let it go for a while. I guess the key is to pull it when the temp is at 165 and let it rest for a while. One thing about the smoked Turkey is it so hard to over cook one. Some thought it was under cooked B/C of the pink smoke ring but they just didn't understand. Some just don't like the smoked flavor. Oh well more for me... LOL. I always make my own rub too. like it spicey.

9. GoldenOne7710

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I actually still consider myself learning the do's and don't 's of smoking. So far so good though. I STILL haven't done a brisket. They're pricey. I guess I could do a small one for the test run. A big one would require some donations from those who wish to eat it.

10. lila

lila New Member

Mar 16, 2018
    Delicious! The description makes me feel hungry