Best replacement carburetor for a rochester q jet

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Rays Camaro, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Rays Camaro

Rays Camaro New Member

Feb 16, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I drive a 1980 camaro with a 350 bored .30 over which I use as a daily driver.
    Last weekend on my way home from work my engine started to bog down. long story short, my carb needs a rebuid or replacement.
    The way I see it, its just an excuse for an upgrade but I really have no experience or knowledge on anything else. Ive been recommended speed demon and Ive been looking into Edelbrock.
    What carb would you recommend for a little more power but still mild enough for a daily driver on a basically stock 350 or am I better off going with a rebuild?

*note. This is my first car and im still learning

2. MR NICE

MR NICE Member

Feb 5, 2013
    det mi
    650 double pumper is what I would do,you would also need a different intake a older weiand stealth works good and has good hood clearence

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    IMHO, another Q-Jet...

BTW, welcome to NastyZ. :)

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I agree with Corky. Nothing else will run as well as a quadrajet, and anything else would be a downgrade from a good running quadrajet. Rebuild the quadrajet you have and enjoy knowing you are driving the best engineered carb ever made.

5. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

May 14, 2009
    Glendale Arizona
    ^^^^^
    what he says. Unbeatable carb for driveability and economy when rebuilt , and tuned properly

6. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    Yeah, another QJet. There are several good rebuilders who can redo your existing core back to stock specs (or modify for more performance, if you like, and if you don't need to pass stringent emissions testing). Or you could just buy a whole new QJet of the appropriate style.

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Whoever does the rebuild, needs to have a Flowbench. It's the only way to tune the carb without having it on the car

8. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    It is possible to beat a Q-Jet in a daily driver. It's called a $2500 aftermarket EFI kit.

A 650 DP will certainly throw a lot of fun factor in to the car, but at several MPG loss.

Cheapest and best route is another Q-Jet.

9. Quadrajet Power

Quadrajet Power Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Waring, Tx
    Best replacement for a tired quadrajet is not to replace it, but bring it back to life. An original quadrajet is usually the best place to start. Re calibrated for your ride and using good quality parts compatible with today's fuel.

10. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    +1

:)