Best option for steering gear replacement 81 Z-28

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Z28zz383, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Thanks for adding the rebuilders info and what you used. What year car do you have? From what I can find the WS-6 box is a 14.1 ratio and the same 2.6 lock to lock as my current 81 Z box. Medium force Which is a nice feeling unit to me.

2. kendpotter

kendpotter New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Tri-Cities, Washington
    I have a '79 Camaro that I have owned since new. Also put WS6 rear end in so I could have 4 wheel discs. Those parts are the best made in 2nd gen F body.

3. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Mantweeka, California
    Just some two cents, be careful when buying remanufactuered boxes as the gear ratios may not be exactly as described.

4. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Have a bud that manages the local napa that told me the same thing....He's willing to get in 3 boxes and we can test them out on the bench as to ratios and turns made. (using a degree wheel) Steering effort is another variable. At least if I install it and don't like it I can swap for another. Or, just bring it back...And repair my old one. Taking my old one out this wknd and will do something soon. Repair or replace.

5. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

For me, Benchworks in Scottsdale is a no-brainer to drop off a fast ratio core, and avoid downtime or questionable re-mans. They do ship.
    http://benchworksteering.com