Best option for steering gear replacement 81 Z-28

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Z28zz383, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    The steering box is finally leaking fluid as fast as you put it in. Just gonna replace it I guess and install new hoses, pump. This is the orig system, what's the best option for replacement? Just a cruiser for the most part. I see prices from 700 bucks to 90 bucks for a gear box. Thank's for any info.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I would just have your stock steering box rebuilt .

Z28zz383 likes this.
  3. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Good thinking! Any suggestions on who could do a rebuild? I have my doubts about anyone local being able to do it reliably.

4. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Dude. Easy choice. Go to the Advance Auto website and order a gear box for a third gen Z28. It's got a quicker ratio than your old box, and is a direct bolt on for your 81. Your hoses are already metric so no issues there.

Either use code P20 for 20% off, or look for codes for 25% or 30% off. They come up from time to time. If you don't have an advance Auto nearby don't worry, they ship to home for free.

And most of their parts have a lifetime warranty.

That's what I did on my 80 lol...

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Z28zz383 likes this.
  5. biker

biker Veteran Member

What he says above. Did this exact thing on my own 81 this spring and it works perfectly. Fit perfect, great finish on it, no leaks. I laboured over the decision too because i wanted to keep my stocker, but the reality is that i dont have a rebuilder anywhere near me, and I wasnt going to waste spring with the box apart on my bench.

Z28zz383 likes this.
  6. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Thanks for responding guys. Sounds good also. I want to replace all the parts at once to keep it a dependable driver. This is def a low cost alternative for the gear box problem. Makes me more confident in a rebuilt one than I was before knowing you guys have had good luck with yours.

7. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    This is what I used:

CARQUEST Power Steering16MM Male O-Ring x 18MM Male O-Ring P/N 36179 - $18.99

Dorman - HelpPower Steering Caps P/N 82581 - $3.99

DriveworksPower Steering Pump Pulley P/N 300-121 - $26.49

CardonePower Steering Pump w/Reservoir - Domestic P/N 20-7803F (Has built-in filter) - $50.99

CARQUEST Power SteeringBulk - 3/8" ID Return Hose (CPE) P/N 36219 - $13.39

Edelmann Power Steering Return Line End Fitting P/N 39107 (ordered from rockauto because I forgot to order it from advance. Advance should have something similar) - $7.20 shipped

Total, out-the-door price for all of the above - ie a 100% brand new system (I was starting from scratch so you may not need all of this) was $130.04. I think that's pretty feasible!

Oh, while its all apart, don't forget a new rag joint. Might as well while you are in there! I forget the part numbers (did that LONG ago) but I think I used a Dorman joint. Should be readily available off-the shelf or online everywhere.

I did this on a big block, and the pump I used was not quite right, so ignore the goofy angle. I used big block brackets because I had them...

20170824_152622.jpg

8. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Wow ! Talk about making it easy. Thanks a lot for all the info. I looked up the steering box for a 3rd gen and turn to turn was 2 and 3/4 turns lock to lock. Haven't counted turns on the one my car has, but that seems quicker than what I have now. This should be a big improvement over the old worn out system. Went to a little local car show tonight. Man, what a nice bunch of cars. Really gets me motivated when I see what others are doing with their old muscle cars.

9. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Ok so I dug a little deeper into the boxes. 3rd gens have two boxes available. A W-S code which is 12.7 ratio, med effort, with a 70 deg turn. 2.4 turns L to L (15'' wheels) Then, there is a X-H box that came on the camaro's with 16'' wheels (FE-2 pkg, or sport suspension) and it has a 12.7 ratio, hi effort, and a 64 deg turn. 2.4 turns L to L (Less turn for the 16'' wheels) My stock 81 Z has a 14.1 ratio and a med effort 67 deg radius box. I have 2.5-2.6 turns lock to lock. So it looks like a W-S 3rd gen box will be the best pick for me to keep the turn radius I have and a med effort steering feel. If you don't mind giving up some turn radius and want more effort then the X-H is the box for you. Hope this adds to the info for anyone wanting to upgrade. The reg camaro's from 68 thru 81 had a variable ratio box with light steering effort.

Rene Melten likes this.
  10. kendpotter

kendpotter New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Tri-Cities, Washington

I found a core unit from the '79 WS6 Trans Am. It is a quick ratio Saginaw with much improved feel over the stock unit. I sent it to Red Head (https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/) and had them rebuild it. They did that for a very reasonable price and it is perfect.

Rene Melten likes this.