Best damn auto lift for the money

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Goodwrench1965, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH

Thanks, By FAR the best money I have spent.
    The garage is unattached with it's own 200A service. Three bays with 9ft doors. Ceiling is a little over 12ft.

I spent a lot of time thinking out the garage. Full attic, home run 220A outlets all around etc.

I love working in there instead of dreading the work I used to do in a dirt driveway!

2. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I had a 10,000 lb Atlas two post asymmetrical lift installed last year. It has been by far the best money spent other than the shop itself. It was $2800 installed. I can get my crew cab 2500hd on it, and it lifts it plenty high to work under it, pull transmissions, etc. the local company I bought it from installs around 400 of these a year and said he has had very good luck with them. The only thing that is a little bit of a pain, is the arms are at full extension to lift a crew cab truck, so you have to be pretty accurate when pulling the truck on. I had my buddies 2009 crew cab F250 on it last week, and it was the same story. It is easier with two people one driving, and one placing the lift pads. Anything else including my regular cab 2500hd's you have a lot more play to just pull in and move the pads where you need to.

The only other 'issue' with having a lift is projects seem to happen more frequently. At least it did with me! It wasn't even installed 24 hrs when I had to pull a trans in one truck do to a cracked flywheel. And since then I have had the trans out of two more trucks, and one is on it right now with the transfer case out of it. I guess that is what happens when you have a fleet of trucks. The only vehicle I own that hasn't been on it yet is the Camaro!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Man good thing you got the lift for your fleet truck work! I had a crew cab HD2500 with a 8.1 looked like the one in the pic. I probably should have kept that truck. It was HELL on gas on the road never got over 10mpg. Here is the lift I'm leaning toward. They have them on sale for $2,199. Lift comes 13'7- 1/2 high which is almost as high as I want for good price. What to you think? It's a MTP-10V3 Eagle http://www.eagleequip.com/product/MTP-10V3.html

4. Goodwrench1965

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I noticed they call the lift symmetric but the arms are different lenth. I thought that made lift asymmetric?

5. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    I don't know how they determine what is symmetric versus asymmetric. I consider the lifts with the columns rotated 30 degrees to be asymmetric since you place the vehicles center of gravity behind the columns, while a straight column lift you should place the center of gravity directly between the columns.

6. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
  7. 79supergasdriver

79supergasdriver Veteran Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Wichita, KS, USA
    These types of threads really make me rue squirming around the floor under jackstands. Can't wait for the day when my big decisions move from "Is it warm enough yet to bother with the rear brakes" to "How can I best spend thousands on a lift" and my problems shift from "I can't open the door without smacking a wall" to "Why do I still have so many empty cabinets?". Someday...

8. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    This is how my 4 post ended up.
    This is what I wanted for storage and occasional work in my attached garage. I definitely agree that the 2 post is better if you are planning on doing mainly or mostly mechanicals and or have more room.

9. Goodwrench1965

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Hey 79supergas I've been figuring out ways to pay for the dream of adding this shop addition with a lift for over 3 years now. I've reduced cost every step I could with doing work myself and using creative resources for materials ( like saving light fixtures that were going in a dumpster for example. ). I know it will be worth it when it's all done but there have been many times I have considered what I could have done with the money and time I've invested in the project. Once I set out to make this happen I've just kept plugging away. I even paid for some of the materials when I refinanced my mortgage. I know what you mean about the money trust me. I'm confident I'll get years of pleasure using this garage and addition. I'm really looking forward to freeing up the time and money that keeps going that way. You can do it too if you decide you want to. There are certain choices I could have made that would have made it faster and cheaper like going with a pole building instead of the monolithic slab like I did. But hell that's done now. Working on picking up drywall and Lowes, building mounts for lights for ceiling, plumbing rough in for toilet and sink and form work for concrete at entry today and yesterday for example. Seems like it will never end.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014