Best damn auto lift for the money

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Goodwrench1965, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I'm going to buy a new two post lift as the crowning investment of my new garage addition. I will use this lift on an occasional level not professionally. I usually will be lifting cars but will sometimes lift 7500 pound trucks with high tops. I built the addition with a 14' 6" ceiling for that purpose. I've looked at several brands including a Eagle 9,000 - 12,000 and also models and Bendpack such as the 10,000. I've considered symmetric and asymmetric. I have little experience using lifts except for a quick stint as a mechanic years ago. When I ask guys who use them professionally for all their life they usually don't have specific advise other than buy a lift big enough to be safe with the heaviest vehicle your gonna work on. Give me feed back on what is the best bang for the buck brand and detail wise for what I am doing if you have experience in buying and using the lifts. Just saying to buy the most expensive one is not really an answer unless there are specific reasons the cheaper one is not a bargain. I'm seeing prices from $1600 for one I pick up at source and install to $3500 for installed lift. This will be the most expensive tool I have ever purchased. This addition has consumed a huge part of my money and life for 3 years so I want to make the best decision. Your help if you know lifts really is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

2. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I have an Eagle installed at my place for 3 years now and I have had no issues with it other than one of the locks doesnt reset when you go back up.

Probably needs lubed

I am very happy with it and do lots of work on it.

3. Goodwrench1965

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Oh yea ? Thanks. Did you go with the 9,000 asymmetric or what? Did you install it yourself? What accessories did you buy with it like trans jack and oil change raised funnel?

4. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    9000 asymmetric wish I had gone to 10000 when a fullsize pickup is on there becasue it just seems like a lot of load, but I have done lots of work on it just fine.

Installed myself except for electrical connection. fairly simple install only hard part was standing up the 2 towers.

Eagle shipped it to a freight depot in charlotte and I picked it up for free.

Got the truck adapters and a oil change thing from northern tool

No transmission jack yet.

5. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    I have 9000 lb no name symmetric lift and a 9000 lb asymmetric Rotary lift..... there's no comparison between the two. I've had one ton trucks on both and I feel safer under the Rotary than the no name. I also prefer the asymmetric lift, makes getting in and out of cars that much easier with the rotated columns.

A lift is no place to cheap out, especially if you're lifting heavy stuff. If you can afford a Rotary or Challenger I'd strongly suggest it. I have no experience with Eagle or Bend Pak so I can't comment on them.

6. 1934chevycoupe

1934chevycoupe Veteran Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Harleysville, Pa
    i was going to buy a 2 post 10K, set my new garage addition up for it, and then decided i'd get more use out of a 4 post, although service work is easier on a 2 post. have 2 cars to finish building, but when they're done, felt the 4 post would be more beneficial to use as a parking lift. so, if all you'll be doing is service work, get the 2 post, but if being able to park 1 on top of another sounds good, get the 4.

i bought a bend pak HD9XW. installed it myself. hardest part- needed 4 guys to lift the runways onto the end pieces. think it was a tad over 3K.

7. Goodwrench1965

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks for the advise. I will study rotary and 4 post lifts. Like with every thing you get what you pay for.

8. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    I just got a Direct lift PP8S 4 post delivered and installed for $2,700.00. It had the benefits of the 4 post and has a movable jack tray that will allow removing wheels etc.

Attached Files:

9. Goodwrench1965

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I never considered a 4 post lift. I thought the runners would be in the way. I can see where for some jobs the 4 post would pose and advantage like welding in subframe connectors or a cage with the wheels bearing the cars weight. I can see you don't have to concern youself with the doors hitting the post either. I wonder if the 4 post is less suseptable to vehicle weight being close to the max design weight since there are four corners lifting instead of arms front and rear. What other pros and cons are ther 4 post vs 2?

10. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Biggest drawback to the 2 post is the concrete work to support it.